ibs what has worked for me

Posted , 3 users are following.

I won't go into gory details, but I was diagnosed with ibs d. I was quite poorly with it last year and didn't think I'd get better. But I am now virtually symptom free and wanted to share how I went about it. I know we're all different,  but I hope some of what I did will help others.

1. I kept a food diary of everything I ate and my symptoms to try and track problem foods.

2. I suspected wheat and dairy as being an issue and so went on a gluten and dairy free diet for a couple of months.

3. I looked up info on soluble and insoluble fibre and tried to balance my intake out, eating more soluble fibre.

4. I started taking probiotics in tablet form-multibionita is the brand I used.

5. I read that gelatin was good for the gut and so I upped my intake-eating a small pot of jelly or haribo a day.

6. I reduced the amount of fruit juice I drank.

Once I managed to stabilise myself with a plain diet, I gradually added food back into my diet,  a new food every 3 days or so to see if I reacted. If I reacted, I didn't eat it again.

I now eat most food, i have lactofree milk still and try avoid white processed bread as that can start mild symptoms off and am a little wary of new foods, especially sauces and coatings.

I have no medical training, but this combination of things I did, mostly gleaned from various sites has worked for me and I hope my experience and months of trying different things will help others. 

4 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Excellent post "j" hope you continue "well being"....

we did "similar" for a young chinese woman a month ago...she is yet symptom free...is re introducing food very very slow..has a fear of returning to the pains and difficulties...Claudio

• Posted

Good luck with that.  I waited a few months before I started to reintroduce any food which worked better for me.  I hope she feels better soon.
  • Posted

I also went on the contraceptive pill as I always seemed worse before menstruation.
    • Posted

wow, when hormons interefere with the normals....havoc.

It's quite interesting that bowel disturbances co exist with

menstruation...

What controceptive do /did you use?

Claudio

• Posted

Hi Claudio,

The brand of contraceptive i use is Rigevidon, and it did stop the increase in symptoms at the time.

Best wishes

Jo

• Posted

Thanks,

By no means is she "over doing it"....has only re introduced 2 foods..and then only a tad..so seems pretty much as you...

no pills for her except probiotics..and she is now alternating between jerusalem artichoke and psyllium husk powder with her probitocs...and not every day...probably 3 times a week...

and yes...she is doing great...spoke with husband last night..and she is now much more "compliant" except she works too hard...and too long..his take..not hers.

She does her qi gong along with deep breathing 2 hours every morning without missing a day..starts at 4 30am...so she has time to prepare meals for husband and 2 young ones. I suspect...not sure of course...this exercise helps her thru her period without any issues...she does not do soy.

her two..adds....salmon...mackeral...small? how about one bite...now 3oz...was sand dabs and sole beforehand...no weight gain...but better...no weight loss. and bm's normal as when she was 18...she says...oh, and she gets plenty of support from her two young ones.

Claudio

• Posted

That's brilliant!  I hope she continues to do well!
    • Posted

J,

make no mistake...your "prudence" of slow re intro is what I would suggest....for anyone.

It's been 4 weeks now since we began....I think it was her husbands "concern" of losing weight that prompted the "trial" of

re intro of the two foods...He is a bio Engineer for a research

firm.

Plan to stay in contact with them as we miss the two fab children who stayed with us when much younger.

Claudio

• Posted

Hi,

I also lost a lot of weight initially, when changing my diet, but it did level out after about 6 months once I'd found the diet that didnt cause symptoms.  I did also read about the bowel being able to heal itself, which is why I think I can tolerate most things, as long as I don't overdo the quantities. 

• Posted

J.

your right....."what ...when....and how much"...is what eventually gets the job done.

Claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.