IBS x2?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it possible to have different reactions to different foods (or whatever) that causes IBS to feel different?

I've always had IBS and I didn't need to be diagnosed at first. I knew with certain foods (mainly greasy like McDonalds) that I would get some bad cramps in my lower central abdomen for 1-2 minutes, have very bad watery diarrhea and then would be perfectly normal again. Nothing I couldn't handle and it happened maybe once a month.

Lately I've been having a burning sensation on my right side, all the way from my upper right quandrant (they thought GB at first) through my right flank and sometimes even down into my right groin. I've had diarrhea every day (not watery, but looser stools) 1 to 2 times a day - actually feels like it comes out solid but when I look in the toilet it's broken apart. No sense of urgency and 95% of the time it feels like I've completely evacuated when finished. The pain is gone in the mornings and seems to progress throughout the day, sometimes getting better. I don't notice a difference in the burning after a bowel movement.

2 years ago I had an upper GI (barium swallow) with small bowel follow through, an ultrasound and a HIDA scan. By the time the tests were done, the pain had gone away and I felt perfectly fine again (HIDA scan DID some back "abnormal" with a ejection fraction of 98%). They weren't sure if that was the problem however, due to the "pain" not being concentrated in the URQ. About a month ago it started up again, but no where near as bad as 2 years ago. So far, I've had the routine bloodwork, a stool sample and an ultrasound. All is clear at this point (no inflammation, no blood, pancreas/liver/kidneys fine, no gallstones or wall thickening). So I feel like my GI is going to learn towards IBS.

But this IBS is different then what I would call my "typical" IBS. Is is possible to react differently to different things?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have had IBS my whole life.  Since I was 10 and now I am 52.  I have to say over the years it has changed.  I get the diareha episodes much more now.  There is no rhyme of reason with it.  Sometimes I eat ice cream and it goes right through me.  Other times I eat it with no problem.  I have had 3 colonoscopies because my dad died from colon cancer and all of them are fine.  Now with my cramping and diareha I get a lump in my throat and it feels like I am going to throw up and I have never had that problem in the past.  I think IBS changes through the years.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My IBS started as extremely painful with a lot of nausea and waking up at night with the pain.  I had bad constipation and then loose, urgent stools  Once I was diagnosed it became mild with occasional bad flare ups.  This year, it has been moderate.   With me, my symptoms change according to my stress levels.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Go back to your GP see what they say.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

IBS symptoms can change over time. Either becoming milder or worse. Pain shifting around from lower and upper left to lower or upper right,sometimes across the midle abdomen. It can shift sides during a single day and back again. Bowel habits can alternate between constipation and diarrhea. IBS can disappear completely for a time and resurface later. You are doing the right thing by getting tested as you should. A colonoscopy would help rule out a lot more seeing as you have had upper gi looked at.

For me I have experienced my IBS pattern shift all over since late 2013. Mainly lower left pain with altered bowel habits. Then a brief remission only to come back with the same lower left pain but it alternates now between there and near lower sigmoid colon below belly button area with occasional right sided twinges of pain.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

IBS can even cause some back pain on the flanks and just above the hip area on either side. For some it can even be linked to another condition called IC which causes bladder urgency,frequency changes and pain in the bladder. Mainly women but men can have it happen as well. For men the usual prostate exam,urine tests,blood work and maybe a cytodcopy are the tests to rule out other conditions related to the bladder.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up