IBSD. Its running my life.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have ibs-d and for the last two months it has been so out of hand. I usually run into issues within 2 hours of getting out of bed! I don't eat breakfast so it must be triggered by moving around. Once or twice a week it hits. But weather it be D or a regular bowel movement, I need to get to a bathroom or can have an accident!!! This problem started 8 years ago (I am a 55 yr old femake). It has ruined my life. I live around IBS. No one understands how embarressing it is. I am on Colestipol. For some reason that worked a bit. I also take 1 probiotic a day (1MD complete probitic) and drink 1 Pronourish a day. My diet is pretty bland to begin with. I do not get much pain with IBS, just that if i need to go i need to get to the bathroom ASAP. Does anyone experience that same issue?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yea I do it's very difficult to deal with um sometimes I have accidents and those are very hard to deal with

• Posted

Try a food diary or the Low Fodmap diet and take Imodium.
    • Posted

I actually live on Imodium! It can take up to 5 or 6 pills to get the D under control!!! I actually had an accident pulling into work after being in the john for an hour! Thankfully I didn't get out of the car and I turned back around and went home!!! Most of my sick days are due to the IBS. I get exhausted and tired after a battle with the bathroom!!!! I am a picky eater and do not eat a lot of red meat or spicy food. Its just so isolating because I am afraid of having issues and needing a private bathroom.

• Posted

Have you spoken to your boss about your IBS to see if adjustments can be made for you?   Although you don’t eat much red meat or spicy food, there may be other foods that are triggering diarrhoea. A food diary or Low Fodmap may help to identify the culprits   Stress can also cause diarrhoea especially if you are anxious about flare ups.
    • Posted

I am a school secretary so my hours cannot be changed. My bosses are all jerks and I would never share that I have IBS with them. It would turn into a joke behind my back. I have heard them laugh about kids when they had "stomach issues". No one in my world except one friend who has IBS understands what i go through. They think if i just relaxed i would be fine. Its infuriating.

• Posted

Maybe you need a change of job that is less stressful and the staff are nicer to work with.
  • Posted

Hi Laurie

I wanted to share my good news in the hope that it will help you or others.

Ive had diarrhea since February daily with uncomfortable bloating.  I had four blood tests, stool and urine tests, an abdominal scan since then and it all came back fine. I started doing a food diary to work out when the movements would start and thought id try gradually cut out certain foods to see what happens.  I cut out milk to start with, I ate healthier salads,chicken,fish, fruit and lots of water, 10-20 minutes of fast pace walking/exercise every other day.  Four weeks in and I feel great.  Ive had only a couple of bad movements 1 due to having a naughty latte and 2 due to a curry. I Its definately worth trying the FODMAP though as I also found that bread has been bloating me so I have cut that out too.   This may not help everyone but its worth a try.  I hope this helps. xxx

• Posted

Thank you. I am going to start a food diary too. That's good advice. I know stress is one of my triggers so i just ordered a yoga video. I am hoping that will help too. Just need to make the time. I have had IBSD for 8 yrs now and its always up and down. I thought I finally had a handle on it but then a couple of months it just went bullistic! I cant figure out why. All i know is that it hits me an hour or so after I get up. I am hoping the food diary will help as i go back to the gastro dr mid july.

Thanks again for your info.... although bread is my downfall! I dont know if i can give that up! 😁

• Posted

I also have IBS-D after a gastroenteritis.. I deal with this 1year and a half.I don’t eat a lot of vegetables and fruits ,I don’t drink milk,coffee and alcohol .. I stopped smoking and I also don’t eat a lot of creamy sweets .. I took probiotics and I saw improvement only 3 first months!After that the symptoms came back! I also noticed that after antibiotics I took because an urinary tract infection by E-coli(of courseee) my symptoms disappeared for 1month!!I have done all the examinations for my bowel and I have not found a medicine that really helps .. I also took some pills like Imodium but 100% herbal ..I saw an improvement the first month .. After that I went to my doctor who said that if the symptoms getting worse during summer he will give me spasmolytics! I really don’t know what else to do.. I am only 21.. I also have heard that menta tea helps lot but I haven’t tried it yet! If someone has any new good advice .. 
    • Posted

There is isn’t a lot more you can do for IBS other than antispasmodics for the pain, possible diet change with the Low Fodmap diet and distraction techniques.  I found OTC Buscopan works great for me when I have a flare up and also Nurofen.  If this doesn’t work, your doctor will try other medications.

• Posted

I dont really get much stomach pain with my IBS-D. Isnt that weird?
    • Posted

Everyone with IBS experiences it differently. Some have mild, moderate or severe pain.  I have had all three at different times.  You are lucky not to have a lot of pain.
  • Posted

I'm sorry you're having so much difficulty sad I also feel like my life's ruled by my IBS, but drastically reducing the amount of fibre I eat helped me so much! The only foods I eat at the moment are white jasmine rice, fish, lamb, very small amounts of cooked carrot and apricot, ginger, salad greens and herbs. I am fine when I eat like this. I tried to add goat's cheese and ended up really sick - too ill to eat for days and on lots of meds - so am being really careful what I add now. Nuts and beans are extremely bad for me, and tough skins (e.g. on chips) are also a huge trigger.

The only problem is that it's extremely difficult to put on weight with this diet, and I'm very severely underweight...

• Posted

Hi, I have had a pretty bad time of late. I first came down with a skin condition called Lichen Planus. Some believe it is triggered by stress. Recently IBS has joined in my misery. I fear going too far from home and have had a few accidents, Gassy stomach and urgent need to go. All the above plus more. I have stopped drinking milk or eating any dairy, also trying other dietary changes. The truth is I cant seem to figure out where this is going. Have had all sorts of tests including colonoscopy.... Its great to find all of you out here, part of this horrible condition is its isolation. No one wants to talk to you about your cramps and bowel...Stress seems to be a common ground in all this, but not everyone can just change a career , especially after working on a caring profession for over fifty years. I dont think GP's have much to offer after the initial testing stage, and its up to each individual to work thru the quagmire of suggestions and information.

Thanks for a sounding board... hope something is developed that will

make this discussion obsolete.

• Posted

I see a lot of similarities in your post with what I am going through. My IBS-D is so out of hand right now that on my way to work I actually had an accident!! I had to turn around and go home and call in sick...again. this is the 2nd time in 3 wks that this has happened and every 2 days I have D. It usually happens after I get up in the morning so I am getting up an extra hour earlier to compensate for being in the bathroom for 2 hours. I cant take this anymore. There is no such this as having a life with this. Hss anyone experienced this? All i know is no matter what kind of bm i have, i have to get to the bathroom asap. I am a picky eater to begin with so i dont know what to cut from my diet. I am not a fan of most veggies so limited there. I eat mostly chicken, shrimp, corn, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, decaf tea, rice cakes and fruit. But still, changing my diet doesnt seem to make a difference.
    • Posted

this morning onslaught seems to be the rule with IBS.... there are times when one feels a need to use the lavatory yet in the end it is just a minot call of nature....then les than an hour later your running back and having a loose movement... At wits endst all adds to the stress....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.