Ideas on what to eat and not when having an infection please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Could anyone tell me what best to eat. This time my bowels arnt loose which is unusual but have all the other symptoms. On antibiotics. Was very naughty on Xmas day and got more horrible pains today. What should I eat from now on? Not eaten much today. Many thanks.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Stick to fluids only for a few days to give your bowels a rest.  Once you've finished your antibiotics slowly introduce low residue foods back into your diet in small well cooked meals and chew thoroughly.  (Mash, steamed white fish, grilled chicken, crustless white bread, scrambled egg, plain yogurt, broth, tea, coffee).  Then slowly reintroduce soluble fibre.  If anything plays you up, keep a note of it and eliminate it from your diet in future.  We all have different trigger foods.

I think you've learned from something we have all done before - eaten the wrong food at the wrong time and paid the price.  You might be able to tolerate that food further down the line when the infection has cleared and your insides started to heal.  I can't talk - I've had some Christmas pudding and brandy sauce today and I've got the niggles back!

• Posted

Ha! But it it Christmas! Thing is I'm not emptying my bowels just lots of wind and the normal pains there. Definitely the symptoms are a lot worse today. Thanks for yr advice.

• Posted

If they continue to worsen you should go back to the doctor.  Sometimes more than one course of treatment is needed.  I'm back on fluids today, but I did enjoy the pudding and sauce!

• Posted

I am back on fluids today   But I did enjoy my Christmas lunch and Boxing Day meals x
  • Posted

I just have liquid for a couple of days and then start to introduce solids   I have had a bit of a upset stomach due to eating sprouts yesterday but it's not to bad. Hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Thanku. Last day of only 5 days antibiotics but no better at all. Will ring up tomoz. Just hope our surgery is open else it means a trip to hospital.
    • Posted

DRS should be back to normal this week. So you should get an appointment tomorrow. If they say they don't have one tell them it's ether them or the hospital. It works at my surgery. Good luck let us know how you get on 

• Posted

Felina could you tell me do u get totally exhausted when you have an infection? I have fibromyalgia so I can't tell if its that. Sick of this now. I've missed Xmas with all my family and I'm getting low being totally isolated. All I can do is watch TV but even that wears me out so I have intervals of going to bed to sleep . the pain is so aggravating too. Many thanks!!

• Posted

Yes I do.  I think its a combination of the infection and the severe side effects of the medications.  They are very strong and totally knock the stuffing out of me.  Also they linger a couple of weeks after I've stopped taking them.  Fibromyalgia is a nasty disease as well - both my cousin and neighbour have it, and they say it makes them feel totally exhausted and in pain some days.  So your pain and exhaustion is probably a compound of both.

• Posted

Many thanks felina. I've had 11 infections under a year and just had enough! Still waiting on results of ct virtual scan.

• Posted

Have all the infections been diverticulitis? Have you had antibiotics for all the infections 
    • Posted

Yes doctor reckons I have the symptoms each time. Yes all bad infections!
    • Posted

They thought I had kidney infections so had scans but then they realised it was diver! Took a prescription nurse to diagnose it was diver instead.
    • Posted

That's one every 4 - 5 weeks, and the effects of one lot of antibiotics have hardly worn off.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having constant recurring attacks so close.  That suggests to me that a) the antibiotics don't work on you or b) one of the complications of DD is developing or c) something else is going on as well, such as IBS, food intolerance etc.  When did you last have a colonoscopy or CT scan?  It may be that you are one of the few cases where further treatment may be required.  I would ask your doctor for a hospital referral to try to get to the bottom of your repeated infections (pun intended).  Better now than further down the line.  What do other posters on this forum think?

• Posted

Do you remember falinia when I thought it was DD probably every week   You said to look at IBS and food intolerance. Now they say I have IBS and are looking at colitis and celiac. I see the consultant on the 5th so will let you know   Maybe that's what Carpy has 

• Posted

Hi I am celiac but if I stay completely off wheat I'm fine. I'm not joking about the infections. Sometimes get better briefly then 2 weeks later go down with another one. I have a slow transit and a muscle issue with my bowels but these infections r not any of that! It dosnt get better and gets worse if I don't have antibiotics.

• Posted

If I have got colitis would the symptoms be the same and would it show up in ct ?
    • Posted

My DR told me I needed a blood test to test for celiac and colitis 
    • Posted

Hi Susan. I had one two years ago but since then the last 5 months I've cut wheat out and notices my constipation lots better. I don't bloat anymore so much either.

• Posted

All my infections didn't appear until nearly a year ago.

• Posted

Can't think of any more to add in the way of suggestions, except I'm not convinced the doctor has yet found exactly what all your medical problems are.  I hope you push for more investigations.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.