If anyone can help on this one, I would appreciate it.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi:

I have been around this forum for several months now and mostly pinpointed to spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, to name a few.  This one is a little different.  Lately, I been having these severe leg cramps.  I was told by a neurologist that it is due to the peripheral neuropathy.  Last night the cramps were extream agonizing pain with not only my legs but arms and fingers as well. This was going on throughout the night.  This morning everything in my body was sore to touch.  Since I have several conditions going on at the same time, it is very hard to determine what is causing it.  I saw a cardiovascular doctor 2 days ago and we discussed the condition.  I was already on potassium 10 meq and 2 mg of Bumex or water pill.  When I go to the bathroom, the stream is restricted and don't empty my bladder completely.  I was also diagnosed as having chronic kidney disease stage 3.  The doctor told me to increase the potassium to 20 meq and Bumex of 4mg.  Bumex is pretty impotent and have to be very careful taking it.  Needless to say that the increase in Bumex probably caused this cramping and the doctor reduced it.  He wanted me immediately to get my blood drawn.  I did so and awaiting results.  He feels my potassium is very low causing these problems.  I was also told that the restriction may be related to my prostate being enlarged.  I already had 2 turps in the past and worked.  If one again, my urine cannot flow normally, it would be definate to me that it would have to do with the prostrate which means a tube in the penis to drain the fluid and ultrasound of my prostate which I don't look forward to at all.  He referred me to a uroligist.  My doctors concern is further damage to the kidney by fluid backing up.  I don't need this on top of all the other crap I have. I have an appointment with his nurse for followup and see what will happen.  One thing that the turps and medication did to me was not to have sex any more which sucks.  I have the desire but not the flow.  My wife being almost the same as I doesn't have the disire anymore.  We both accepted it but I wish I can still reverse it to feel satisfaction.  I am 77 years old and my body is wearing out like an old car.  Suffice to say, all I want to know is if anyone else had this cramping due to potassium loss and restricted urinary stream?  Thankyou for y our help.

mel

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You say you have spinal issues which includes stenosis.

You may have to consider that some of your bladder control issues are down to the nerves leading to the bladder being compromised and good luck with that as most urologists never accept that trapped nerves could be part of the problem.

Worth asking your neurologist if the nerves leading to your bladder could be compromised and if he says yes get him to convey that info to your urologist.

Good luck.

• Posted

You say your doctor is concerned about further damage to the kidneys "by fluid backing up". If you're talking about refluxed urine backing into the kidneys due to retention, then this has to be addressed either by drugs, a procedure or by catherization. If it is nerve damage, as has been suggested, then catherization may be the best route. Fortunately, you do not need a catheter in all the time, and many people with nerve damage elect for clean intermittent catherization (CIC) which you perform yourself usually several times per day. All these issues should be discussed with a competent urologist.

Jim

• Posted

At your age and with all your medical conditions, it would be best to consult a certified geriatrician before you go any further.
  • Posted

I don't have your other problems, but I do sometimes have cramping. A doctor told me that the cramps can be caused by not enough water in your system. Now when I have a cramp, I drink 2 to 4 glasses of water as soon as I can, and the cramps clear up in a few minutes. Please note the other lines on this blog. Many may be useful to you.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.