If everything went great

Posted , 16 users are following.

How long would it take if everything went as it should and all surgery was no problems for someone to go back to work with light duty’s desk work . Anybody had a smooth time please I’m worried about losing wages when I’ve a Morgage to pay . 

Kind regards 

Liz 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi liz

I am 15 weeks post op and everything went well for me. I had posterior approach.

If you need to drive to get to work then 6 weeks minimum is usual time frame. If you have to walk any distance or stand for a while then this could cause problems and remember you could still be using crutches.

However.......I used to have a 'desk job' and know that contrary to belied it is still very tiring and in particular mentally tiring. You coukd feel mobile enough fairly soon but tiredness is going to be your biggest enemy.

If you have sympathetic employers you may manage it. Concentration is very difficult for a while.

If I had to return to work I would say around 8 weeks would have been soonest I could have tried.

Hope this helps.

Sandra x

• Posted

Everyone is different, and I'd say my surgery must have gone perfectly so im not sure how helpful this will be, but....I had my replacement done 12 days ago (direct anterior approach). Surgery was at 7:30 am. I walked with a walker at 1:30, a cane at 1:40, was home by 3:30 and walk about 100 yds with the cane in my hand but not being used at 4pm. Never took anything for the pain, was able to walk over a milles continously unaided the day after surgery and could have been back at work by day 2.

Good luck.

• Posted

You're my hero! I thought it was weird that I was healing so fast. I had mine 11/9, surgery at 12:30 pm, walking at 4 pm. I went home the next day and had no problems getting around. I used the walker but was mainly carrying it since I have 2 large dogs. I was able to let them out, then in, then out, etc. immediately even though there are 2 stairs. I just used the wall for stability and had no problems.

• Posted

Dear Paul

Good work. It just proves the point I've tried to get over here for a long time that we should not have our recovery aspirations held back by the outcomes of others.

Twenty years ago when I had my first hip replacement there was no internet to find out what to expect so I had no preconceptions and like you just got on with it!

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth! I just want to stress to everyone that each case and surgery is different. We have to be careful not generalize the severity of the surgery we all have gone through. Every surgeon is different and has his/her preference as each patient and physical therapist. The United States may also differ from practices and procedures from the UK. Please do all your surgeon tells you and give your body the time it needs to heal. Be kind to yourself and your recovery . Blessings! Teresa
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I am 3 weeks post op and I actually went into work today for a catch up, i’m under no pressure to get back but I am going to ease myself in gradually by doing some work from home this week. As soon as I can drive at 6 weeks I am going back, I am only 3 days a week but 9-5pm but I think I will be fine. I guess it just depends on your recovery. Good luck! X

• Posted

Dear Liz

If you are very fortunate as I was with my first one twenty years ago about a week.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Hi Sarah, as people have said we are all different. Mine wasn't straight forward had infection and a lot of pain. however I was back at my desk job 8.5 weeks later. Although I have a great boss and he said I could do reduced hours which i did slightly for the first week. I was exhausted and stiff, even though I moved around and did my exercises at work.  Took me quite some time not to feel so tired. Like you I only got statutory sick pay so I understand where you are coming form, but don't overdo it. 

• Posted

I was able to work from home pretty well after I came out from hospital. Did get tired though so took it easy. 
  • Posted

I went back to work (desk job) after 4 weeks and was driving at 5 weeks. Posterior, right hip. 
  • Posted

I was due back at work at 12 weeks post-op, and would have been if both my surgeon and hospital radiography department had not messed up.  As it was, I went back 11 weeks after my revision operation which was also messed up.  I did however have a 2 hour commute into and out of London, and I do not think I could have done it in less than 8 weeks even if I had worked locally.

It depends on several factors, your existing fitness, your luck in the operation, and how much work you put into the recovery exercises.

Best wishes for a good and speedy recovery

Graham

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I'm 53 and had two surgeries, both posterior. I went back to normal in 8 weeks, started wieking full time at the 10th week...and I'm working stil))

Hope everything goes well with your surgery and you will be back to normal as soon as possible.

Best wishes

Desire

• Posted

Hi my first THR was perfect. I could have gone back a week after but of course doc would not release me that soon.

Please let yourself heal. This is a very traumatic surgery. Wishing you the best. Keep us posted. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I am 8 weeks post op (posterior approach), which went very well.  I started back to work (office job) at 3 weeks - but only because I work for myself - however, I could only manage 2-3 hours at a time before I needed a break and a nap! This was less to do with the physical side of things, though my operated leg did ache a bit and more to do with mental fatigue - quite simply I had the attention span of a gnat!

I gradually increased the amount of time I was working, so that at 6 weeks I was back working full time without any issues.

I suggest, if possible, that you do a phased return to work over a period of a few weeks and see how you get on.

• Posted

Elizabeth

I think there are two main issues.

Getting to work. You probably can't drive before 6 weeks though some do. Public transport is not ideal when you are not walking too well either but it would depend on your commute how hard that would be.

Doing the work. I found that sitting at a desk for long periods made my leg swell up. So even after 6 weeks you may need to get up and walk about from time to time and/or put your leg on a chair to lift it while you sit at your desk.

Hopefully your employer will be a bit understanding.

But as others have said on posts recovery time varies and your level of fitness, your weight and general state of health have an affect on your recovery time.

Just remember that if you have it done sooner, when yiou are younger and more active, you will recover quicker.

Good luck

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.