If I take Mirtrazepam will it make me think better?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am classic depressed, I have sufered too many suicides and too many days i thought whats the point, have always been afraid to take anything except diazepam, and try do Yoga to help, but I have the packet and tonight I am going to start, please tell me this will stop my constant re-living the bad situtions I have been through and wont turn me into a walking zombie..

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

You can but try it. Mirtazapine worked for me, but not straight away. I've been on it for 6 years and I'm not a walking zombie.
    • Posted

TY Pixie all I needed to know, I am going to give it a shot tonight, TY
  • Posted

Carina, no-one can promise you that mirtrazepam or any other medication will miraculously bring you peace of mind and most anti-depressants do in fact turn some people into walking zombies.

Have you tried Counselling or  Meditation or Cognitive Behavior Therapy?  I'm not trivialising how bad you feel, but if you can bring yourself to do a bit of exercise, even a short walk and then work up, you may find your mind becomes clearer and you can work out where to go next for more help.   There are some studies indicating that 30 m exercise a day is as helpful in some forms of depression as anti-depressants.

How recently were you prescribed diazepam?  Most Australian doctors don't prescribe it any more because it's so addictive.   In my experience years ago it made me so lethargic I couldn't be bothered doing anything much at all, let alone deal with my depression and prozac was even worse.

Please take care of yourself

• Posted

Hi Jude thanks for the support,  I have 2 gorgeous lil Doggys, so I do walk, I am forced to ^^ and here in East Lothian is a beautiful place to be, I have so much to live for too, so I am not about to do anything stupid, I woudnt do that to my Family, it would be too cruel after what we have been through, I just thought I would point that out for anyone reading this, It is early am and the second day taking them 15 mg, to be doubled in 2 weeks time, I would normallly have cried with dispair before now, and although the same thoughts about how sad my situation is I am not crying, the tears just dont well up from my chest, and my little voice of reason seems to be in a happier place today, is it the Mirtazepam or a mental placebo effect? I dont know yet, I have had the driest mouth ever yesterday and today and felf fuzzy headed, but I can deal with that, I am hopefull. Love and Light to anyone suffering depression.

Carina xx

• Posted

It's good to hear you're feeling more optimistic carina  -  take care of yourself
  • Posted

I vote against mirt. It did help me sleep that's for sure but I after I took it ...never wrote a other poem  or essay, my mind went blank, I don't feel I was as funny or social. It calmed my anxiety to a point and yet there was a price to pay by being what I'd call plain stupid.mi would try something else like paxil which did help my anxiety and I was myself  but more outgoing. Mirt made me hybrinate and be anti social and sleep 12/13 hours a day. I got to the point I thought it was a normal life....NOT

There are all the WD symptoms but that's a whole nother story. Nope Mirt will not help you think better most people report being either a zombie or always tired. 

• Posted

I try not to contradict anyone on these forums, but I think you overgeneralise when you say that mirtazapine won't help carina to think better. It might, or it might not. It got me out of a bad bout of depression, and gave me back my life, and now I write poetry and newspaper articles, do creative photography , solve crosswords, carry out voluntary work (i am retired) . . . . . . The list goes on. Everyone is different in their response to any drug, and you don't know until you try and give it a chance. What suits one person might not suit another, and vice versa.
    • Posted

I agree it was an overgeneralisation, but I'm not prepared to give it a try and see what happens, I've read enough stories on this forum to convince me I was right to check this drug out before I had the script made up, and I'm so glad I didn't start on them without checking first.

My gp told me I might put on a bit of weight (this to someone who's already overweight and borderline diabetic) and that I could try them for a week or two and if I didn't like them just stop taking them, and it seems clear to me from this forum that it's nowhere near as simple as that.

• Posted

Yes I do have to agree with you! But it's still like play Russian roulette ...some people do fine with it while others do very poorly. Some have no WD symptoms either. Yet some get violently sick. The problem I see is that there is no test as of yet to rule out some people and rule in others. Therefore, you might get a click and you might take a bullet.
    • Posted

im to old to play potential life threatening games. Potentially..yes I agree. Still I will forever more stick with the tried and true, and not a hit or miss. I also don't play in traffic.
    • Posted

Yeah, I'm too old too!   I had enough trouble with statins, I'm not going to risk the sort of negative "side" effects I've seen described on this site
    • Posted

Thank you Pixie, I think I must be a bit like you, I get emotional but im not crying, and your words matter to me, mabey like you I will do some voluntary work and see where I could help children learn how to make short films and edit, there is a bunch of kids in my area who all hang around looking more depressed than me, and my Art form is going to waste, I am going to share my knowledge with them first, I just never did before as I always seemed to let people down as i have been such a defeatest in the past... the past is no longer. Thank you again Pixie your words made me happy.

Love N Light Carina x

• Posted

Ok so it has been 6 days on Mrt, and I am feeling a lil shaky just happened when i woke up today, but i have to say I have been generally feeling happier, well not happy but not catatonic and hibernating away and crying 10 times a day, I have sorted out the standing orders i had no need for, and generally getting my life in order, so that makes me feel more connected to what is going on, and I feel this is a good Drug right now for me, I am a creative phahhh did I just say that !!. But I even managed to do a lil editing of stuff I have felt bad about not getting done, I dont feel like a Zombie and i did expect that, its just instead of thinking about doing things I am perhaps just putting one foot in front of the other and doing them, I am still hopefull, and I am sleeping a lot better for rather longer than I would like but hey ho. it took me a few hours to finish this post and the shakey feelings have stopped now, but just thought I would give you all some feedback on my progress with Mirtazepine, I have to double up next week and I will give feedback on this too, I thank you all ( even the negative comments) becaue I do want to know if there is a dark side to having so many chemicals running riot in my brain, but I am ok and functioning is the word smile Love N Light to anyone who has depression  xxxx
    • Posted

So im at the 2 week mark i had a numb hand the other day for about an hour, i have no idea if that is related to Mrt, i see my doc on June 16th to see how things are going, this morning I want to cry and couldnt concentrate so ended up just grabbing the laptop and came for a look here, I feel like i want to do something radical to change my life, like run away, to where i have no idea, i know now without doubt what issues are  predominant factors in my being so depressed, I can also see why people comlain about weight gain as I have been eating things i used to eat as a child, and i have also unwrapped deep memories that have affected me all my life I dont know where those memories came from just out of the blue and i can see the life i have been living is what other people expect of me rather than beng me, hence the radical change i am about to take, so from now on i wil resist the temping krispy donuts and cream cheese and bulk up on almond milks  and juices i make myself and fruits into smoothies with milled seeds of all types with my really good blender.

I do ache a bit in my hips but have a period for the first time in almost a year, so im not accustomed to that pain anymore perhaps, and i am a little sluggish,  but I am not depressed i am not allowing myself to dwell ( i am not able to dwell) im sure thats the Mrt right there working and for me this is a very good thing, I will structure myself and in fact force myself to practice more Yoga today, it works for mind and body, it is the only thing i can think of to do, I am removed from society but that is for Karma reasons rather than enything else, I will learn to love myself as I deserve to love the person that i am, this moment is the only moment and in it i will create myself new and face each second as it occurs.

Love N Light to anyone suffering from depression x

Carina

• Posted

Hi to anyone who see's this post,

I began taking Mirtazepam 1 month ago now, and it helped me immediately, but I couldnt concentrate properly when I do Yoga and my breathing was all over the place, I also noticed aching in my joints, sweating too, but i was so happy not to be depressed I was willing to put up with it and see if it works, I have been eating 3 donuts a Day and also thought never mind vanity save my sanity, but today standing here i cannot see my knickers over my belly for the first time ever in my life, I have became a tub in a month, and decided to stop 3 days ago i took half for one night and i brought the diazepam 2 mg back out to help with the transition, I can see how it works i was confused and thought about food, and i wasnt dwelling because i couldnt concentrate, it has however for me took me out of myself and love that it done this to me to realise that in my situation I cant change or do anything about it, I was diagnosed as PTS disorder, and feel like a survivor today, but know i can only live in this moment and keep doing what I have been doing and that is puting one foot in front of the other, and be nice to me, that does not include donuts, i am hoping this stubborn cravings will stop soon, I was a bit tearful earlier watching something that played a part of Clair de Lune and it started me off a bit, but i fought back and am going to the physio today then big Dogwalks.

Love N Light to anyone suffering depression xx

• Posted

Hi, how are you on Mirtazapine now?

I stopped 8 days ago and had terrible WD symptoms so I had to go back on them and I hope I feel myself again. I had taken them 2 years prior before I stopped and they really helped me not feel depressed and I managed to get a good night sleep and I was eating well. I am unsure if it will still have the same effect this time, but I  hope so because I am suffering from derealization from the withdrawal symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.