tired

anxious

lid lag

red eyes

bags under eyes

heart racing - not all the time

shaky hands

etc.,

had lots of blood tests, T4, T3, calcium, liver, full blood count, all came back normal.

I had been put on neomercazol but now they want me to stop it and after a week have all the tests done again.

I was told in December I had overactive thyroid by GP, Consultant said I'm fine, all be it she hasn't seen me, she's going by lab results.

i just wish they would decide, is it possible for all lab results to be "normal" but have all symptoms?

any thoughts or advice would be great, as I don't know anymore.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

To become an empowered patient, you always have to get and keep a copy for your own file of any lab tests done on you.  Then you can post these to Boards like this to get input.  Getting and keeping lab test reports also helps you to learn more about your body.  In North America, the law is that patients are entitled to receive these if they ask for them.  I think the law might be the same in the UK.  For thyroid problems the tests usually done on thyroid patients are TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  Free T3 and Free T4 are preferrable to regular T3 and T4 and are considered more accurate for diagnostic purposes.  Sometimes adrenal problems mimic thyroid problems in their symptoms.  There is an adrenal condition called pheochromocytoma which is a benign tumour that develops in cells in the center of an adrenal gland. You have two adrenal glands, one above each kidney. Your adrenal glands produce hormones that give instructions to virtually every organ and tissue in your body.  If you have a pheochromocytoma, an adrenal gland releases hormones that cause persistent or episodic high blood pressure. If left untreated, a pheochromocytoma can result in severe or life-threatening damage to other body systems, especially the cardiovascular system.  Surgical treatment of the pheochromocytoma will correct the condition.  There are other adrenal conditions that can also cause symptoms.  So I would bring this up to your docs and ask them if they think it is a possibility and if they do, they can run further adrenal tests.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda, I'm new to this so I will keep in mind to keep records going forward.  

Blood count - 14.4

sugar - normal

Free T4 - 17.1

TSH 1.44

HbA1 5.7%

Kidneys normal

Iron normal

B12 and Folate - normal

T3 - normal

thats as much as I have, but as I say I will take your advice.  Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

• Posted

You are right Jean, your tests look normal.  However, most tests come with ranges for normal beside each test for that particular lab that did the test, i.e. for thyroid tests the ranges for normal vary from lab to lab.  So it is important to post ranges when  you post your results.  This is especially true for thyroid tests because they really vary from lab to lab and country to country.  For example, normal ranges for TSH in one lab are 0.30 to 3.00 and in other labs 0.70 to 5.00 so when you get results, always look at the ranges as well.  I do think all the tests you had done are normal though and I think you need different tests done as none of these test for adrenal function.  You are on the right path to getting the help you need by searching for information and asking your docs if adrenal causes might be the source of your symptoms.
  • Posted

Your symptoms are very similar to mine. All my tests have come back normal. I have not had the T3 or T4 just the TSH. Today I feel like crud!! My joints keep popping all over. Kinda scary. I am waiting on an ultrasound to check my ovary. At my appt last Wednesday my gyno said one was larger than the other. He said he felt like it was nothing to worry about. I have been taking anxiety med. that had helped some bit not totally. I really feel like I am going crazy looking for answers.
    • Posted

Debra, it's the not knowing that wrecks your head, you think they know what it is, then they don't and all the time you are feeling crap.  I'm now off neomercazole, I've to wait for a week and get the whole lot of bloods done again, in the meantime I'm left hanging with a bucket load of symptoms. What is bugging me is the way the medical profession dismiss how you tell them you are feeling and if I hear once more "test normal and within range" I will burst, I read something that I think is true, now two things, "treat the symptoms not the lab results" and "one test doesn't fit all"  yup I'm pretty tired of it all, BUT tomorrow is another day.  Hope you get your scan as soon as and all goes well.  Take care Jean.

• Posted

I am awaiting next Monday. I have tried not to get worked up, but that anxiety kicks in. This forum had really helped me know that there are others with similar symptoms. Have you had any issues with your hair? Mine has been falling out, that was the original reason I went to the GP. Then they found two very small nodules. They have had no change. The ENT said everything is fine. I don't think do. Hence my quest as a crazy person. Take care and thank you Jean!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.