Ill for 2 months, no diagnosis, pretty much ready to give up

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I'm not sure which section to put this in, as the subject says, I haven't a clue what's wrong with me. I've picked what the last doctor I saw told me it could be, and 1/2 of the results I get when I check my symptoms online. If it's wrong, sorry, please move.

Symptoms are basically:

My heart feels like its thumping hard and fast, sometimes only hard but normal. 24/7.

Insomnia. I've probably had like 2 hours of sleep over the last week.

Shaking, as if I'm cold or anxious.

A throbbing swollen throat (it feels like when you get choked up during a good cry, only it doesn't go away). It was getting better but it decided I needed to suffer more, and now its a struggle to swallow.

Acid reflux.

Rubbish appetite. What little I do eat due to taming the acid reflux is difficult to eat.

Occasional stomach pain, like heartburn

Chest pain, the left is all the time while the right is sometimes. It feels sore and tender, surface area pain but sometimes I feel like a stabbing ache deeper inside

Lightheadedness

Neck pain

I've bothered doctors, the 111 and when I was at my worst (felt like a heart attack) 999 services, about this and the guess is always panic/anxiety or GERD (acid reflux). I'm taking a tablet for the latter, which did at first help with the stomach/throat related symptoms until yesterday, now not so much. Now I'm just pig sick of being sick. I wanna get back to normal; eat, sleep and live. I can't do any of those things. I'm scared that it's something else entirely, or if it is anxiety, I can't seem to cure it.

Some background just in case it's relevant: I started the new year suffering from constant migraines. Went to the docs and was prescribed a beta blocker called Propananol (something like that!) 80mg. It seemed to work but I started losing a lot of sleep and constantly had pins and needles. Doc doubled my dose despite my complaints and that's when everything went downhill. I was getting little to no sleep all while suffering from panic attacks all the time, chest pains, nightmares etc...

About a month ago I asked another doctor about this, she suggested giving them up cold turkey after going back to my remaining 80mg tablets. First few days I was fine, then the same symptoms came back with a vengeance with the added bonus of having no appetite at all. I lived on tiny crackers and water for a week.

When it did start to settle down a tad, and I was able to eat again, my back started to hurt a lot like someone was grabbing my spine and choking it (though to be fair, I've had chronic back pain for 10years so doubt its related), so I took ibuprofen for a couple of days. My throat started to throb, and I got a cough so bad it felt like I was hacking up my lung. I assumed it was a simple coughso got some medicine. Seconds after taking that my stomach was burning, my headache came back with a vengeance. I knew then it was more stomach related.

Went to the docs again to get checked out. She guessed it was some sort of stomach infection, but the tests have come back normal. So, back to square one and not feeling any better.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi you have just described my symptoms since December 

i have had an endoscopy which showed stomach and gullet inflammation

been taking two nexium a day for weeks now 40mg dose

got sibo test was positive and took flagyl for a week .

the nexium i think are totally throwing my system all over the place 

loose stools and insomnia 

really hard beat of my heart when trying to sleep

• Posted

PPI's alone will give you SIBO.  Once SIBO is active your whole body can tun into a mess.

• Posted

PPI's alone will give you SIBO.  Once SIBO is active your whole body can tun into a mess.

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

also i have requested a 24 hour ph manomtry test .

i think my problem is my stomach acid is too low

never feel hungry anymore 

pale tongue too 

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. Did any of the meds help or are they just adding to the list of problems?

Did the gp do the tests or did you have to get referred? Nothing like that was suggested to me.

• Posted

Hi Marill

i got the test myself 

the nexium i think are making me worse

and on the package side effect list is insomnia

so i think my problem is low acid 

the sleep is my biggest chaLLENGE now 

• Posted

Marill, more than one problem, one answer? Anxiety and stress! Regards acid reflux? Do the home test, no PPI's or indigestion meds for 4 days, first thing in the morning small glass of water, heaped teaspoon of baking soda powder stire it up neck it back, and time how long it takes to burp, belch? 3mins and less enough acid, after 3mins low acid levels, giving the same symptoms heart burn etc, because the food is not digesting but fermenting giving off gasses, and the latest thing I read was a condition called candida!!!  A yeast infection, again in the morning full glass of water, mouth full swallow it down, then gather saliva in your mouth and spit it in the water, not mucous, just saliva, and watch it float in the water, if bits dangle, in the water like tentacles or bits sink to the bottom? A seriously yeast infection, not sure of the INS and outs of it, only just discovered it myself, regarding the soda test? I don't burp at all, and the candida test loads of tentacles hanging down, and their treating me for to much acid. 

• Posted

Its very important that we know  if the acid in our stomach is to much or little, taking PPI's if your acid is already love is asking for trouble! I'm in my 3rd day of no PPI meds, just had 2 very spicy pasties, no reaction, go to a health shop ( Holland and Barrett)  penny sale is on and get digestion Enzyme tablets, take them with a meal see if they help? 

• Posted

Mike! They will if your stomach acid is already low! A pharmacy told me straight????  Those things will kill you! 
    • Posted

It will tell you if reflux is high or low. GI's don't believe in low acid.  I took the Heidelberg reflux test which tells you if you have low or high acid and came out low.   My GI will say he knows nothing about it in order to avoid the conversation or look for a remedy because all they know is how to give you more PPI's and low acid means NO PPI's. ;-)))

• Posted

It will tell you if reflux is high or low. GI's don't believe in low acid.  I took the Heidelberg reflux test which tells you if you have low or high acid and came out low.   My GI will say he knows nothing about it in order to avoid the conversation or look for a remedy because all they know is how to give you more PPI's and low acid means NO PPI's. ;-)))

• Posted

Is this true?? I'm taking Omeprazole and for a week they were helping . Now they do nothing.

I don't have the baking soda at home, too unwell to go out now, plus it's late. Any other way to test acid levels, reading that has set my anxiety sky high

• Posted

Mike how do you go about getting the Heidelberg test done? My GP never heard of it!!!!!! 
    • Posted

Been reading about this, now very worried. My g p didn't diagnose me yet, but prescribed ppis Omeprazole. Do i have to back and ask for this Heidelberg reflux test, cos my docs are closed at the weekend. Baking soda powder it is.

If the acid is low, what then other than stop taking yet another prescription medicine that's left me iller

• Posted

Increase your stomach acid!  Health shop, digestion Enzyme supplements, banana, Apple, GI! Ginger. 
    • Posted

Been reading about this, now very worried. My g p didn't diagnose me yet, but prescribed ppis Omeprazole. Do i have to back and ask for this Heidelberg reflux test, cos my docs are closed at the weekend. Baking soda powder it is.

If the acid is low, what then other than stop taking yet another prescription medicine that's left me iller

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.