Im 49.I've been having some depressive symptoms for more than 3 months.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im 49.I've been having some depressive symptoms for more than 3 months. Since a year ago, I have irregular periods. My last period were 4 months ago. During this year I have lost more than 8 Kg. For more than 3 months but especially during July, I feel very sad, tired, hopeless, I have lost pleasure in my daily activities and i feel very anxious. I went to see a doctor and he prescribed me zoloft and xanax (1/2 zoloft in the morning and xanax 3 times a day) I am really scared because I tried to take a week ago 1 zoloft and 1 xanax for 2 days but i felt a heavy head and very tired that i couldnt get out of bed. That's why i quit. After quiting I felt worse. I dont know what to do. Shoud I start the medication again? Is it normal to have this symptoms? Help me please. I am very worried and I am worring my family even more...

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

That sounds really horrible to deal with maybe going to see another doctor to find out what is causing it would help. I don't know what the tablets you have been given are meant to do I guess make you calm. They sound as if you need to have a reduced dose or a further chat with your doctor. Do you think you might need vitamins maybe your body is not keeping some of the vitamins it needs   

May be worth seeing someone who will look at your symptoms as a whole. There is always a solution don't give up. Do you think it's menopausal? 

• Posted

Thank you liz53953. I think it is menoupause but also related with a period of stress that i have been going through for more than 1 year. I saw the doctor and he said that I feel worse because i tried to quit immediatly after 2 days of medication. he said I should have countinued to take zoloft and xanax. He also recommened me magnesium. I am very confused. I dont know if i should start again. 
    • Posted

Hi aida I'm not qualified to advise you go and see another doctor in the practise and explain how you are feeling. If you are unhappy with the outcome or don't want to take the medication ask for an alternate way a natural healer or homeopath or a counsellor you can talk to. It's your body and maybe you need to talk to someone to get the stress out of your mind. Dealing with the change of life on top of stress is very difficult. I also recommend the anxiety forum others on there may have a better idea. 
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry you are going through this stress. Perhaps you can also join a forum on depression and get help/support/undestanding there? Those medications you mentioned are prescribed for anxiety and depression. Maybe you need to start taking them at a lower dose and work your way up? It takes a while for your body to get used to these medications, and there can be some side affects until your body gets more used to them. I was on 50mg Sertraline (zoloft) for anxiety. I took it for a year, and when it felt like the high anxiety had passed, I weaned myself slowly off without any problems. Once you have started on these medications you shouldn't come off suddenly-you will need to wean yourself off with your GP's help. I think it is ok to get help through medication for the sake of mental well-being-we take other medications for other ailments without a second thought. I would just suggest that you also consider going to talk with someone to help you work through the underlying causes of your being anxious and depress-I did that myself. 

All the best!

• Posted

Hi Aida!

I have had a similar experience with my weight and the anxious and depressed feelings I have lost 10lbs in about the span of 5 months due to my shifting hormones. It sounds like you are right here with the rest of us ladies on this forum. These are symptoms of perimenopause. What you are feeling may not feel good but it is "normal". I was a complete basket case when I first joined this forum. If it wasn't for janeyjay and some of the other women on this forum who have helped me to understand what my body was going through, I would have gone crazy!

I have had my doctor test my FSH levels yesterday to see where I am hormonally (still awaiting the results). The best recommendation that has worked for several of us on this forum is to try some B6 and B12 vitamins which help to alleviate a lot of these symptoms.

As far as the medicine, I would consult with the doctor. Anytime you abruptly stop a medication, the body will protest. I had a similar experience when I stopped taking my blood pressure meds. It's better to wean yourself off of meds than just stopping cold turkey.

• Posted

aida73734, I've been dealing with perimenopause for several years but always had regular periods until last Sept when I turned 51. Now I will skip a month here or there and my periods are always up to 2 weeks late. I had symptoms of feeling like my sugar is dropping first, that started years ago but felt better if I ate. Then I called emergency once when I thought I was having a heart attack because I would feel like pressure in my chest and like I can't breathe but all tests showed nothing. Then it happened again last year and again all tests negative. This year with period changes I had gotten diverticulitis and not sure if it was the meds or not but I started having severe fatigue and anxiety which brought on feelings of depression and like I was dying. Again, tests all negative. Not once did anyone mention perimenopause until I started researching my own symptoms and it matched with so many going through this as well. I get weird random pain, tingling like my hands or arm is falling asleep. Some hot spells but not too many and recently started getting the chills. Like cold to the bone chills, I have to bundle up at work. I've felt off balance and like my sugar is dropping but all that checked out ok. I was getting really depressed but to be honest, having a forum like this has helped me feel in control. When I feel anxiety creeping up, I distract myself. I started taking 2500 mg of B12 which has helped my fatigue tremendously. I no longer feel I'm falling asleep at work. I also take evening primrose 500mg which my gyno suggested years ago for PMS. It does help with the hot flashes. Please don't be scared, this sucks but it's a change our bodies go through. I scared the crap out of my hubby and daughters too but I'm not letting that happen anymore. If you need to take xanax (my doc gave me some too) then do it. Do whatever helps you take control of the situation. You will be ok.... smile good luck and God Bless.
  • Posted

Hi there! I'm sorry for what your going through. This is awlful. I was told I was going thru perimenopause, like you bad depression where I too would not get out of bed. I haven't felt like myself going on 4 months now . I do not do much, I hate it when my husband is not home with me. I have enlarged uterus because of fibroids my uterine wall has thickened so I will have a sono and ultra sound done in August, I'm scard..., never knew this hormonal stuff was this bad! I was told years ago to have a hysterectomy but haven't done it thinking I will get through this. Hope things will get better for all of us in this !! 
    • Posted

Hi Beth don't be scared I had fibroids nasty little suckers. I had a hysterectomy as they eventually got too big. Best best thing I ever did I felt a million dollars after it   We will all get through this it is natural it's just no one tells us anything so best we all stuck together and share information and support one another us girls are good at that. 
    • Posted

Thanks! I have been avoiding the hysterectomy !! I'm scard of that. I'm such a mess right now
    • Posted

Hi Beth take one thing at a time deal with each bit and you will feel better   If hysterectomy scares you why? For me it got rid if fibroids which made me look 5 months pregnant and all the messy heavy periods and freed me it seriously was the best step I ever did. Talk to someone about what scares you do to with it ? It's just an operation that takes the bad bits away and then you feel better 
    • Posted

I understand I had 2 D&C before 2 miscarriages so ever since then I've had a bug phobia of being put under I also have 3 daughters had c section with all three they didn't put me under though . I am seeing a therapist, but I have such fear!! 
    • Posted

Hi Beth talking to therapist best way to deal with fear. It's all about taking control of your life the best way you can take heart it will all work out. 
    • Posted

Thank you Liz. I have an appt with my OB on the 14 th of August so I will find out more then .
    • Posted

Good luck love talk about how you feel and how you can deal with it . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.