Im baaaaaack!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all, sorry to have been MIA for so long. TKR was last Friday, so I'm +5 days.

V quick check in tonight - came home this afternoon, sore, bruised, exhausted, emotional.......but home!

I'll be back in the next few days for a full update, but just wanted to let you know I've done it!

9 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Welcome back. Glad all went well. Now you are a member of the post TKR group!!I am sure there will be days you will wish that you were not a member but we are now on the road to recovery and hard work. Try to get plenty of rest look forward to hearing from you as you progress. I am now Two weeks post op and Thursday is the D day to have the staples out! It will be nice to be able to exercise without the restriction, also it will be first time of seeing the scar!!! Take care xLouise
    • Posted

Hi there Louise.  I am 5 weeks post TKR op and remember thinking that having the staples removed would be a bit painful and that my MS might make my leg spasm etc but I barely felt anything at all.  My leg did spasm but the Sister was prepared for it!!  I followed advice and use Bio Oil twice daily and my scar is looking  lovely.  Well not exactly beautiful but certainly pretty good!  It no longer resembles a leg of oven ready pork.  Take care of yourself and be patient.
    • Posted

Hi Camper, thank you for your post. I am well behind all as my bend and straight legs are not good I have really tried to do exercises but do not seem to get far. I am however walking for 5-10 minutes a day and really walk properly. I am hoping that this afternoon exercises will be better once the staples are gone. I will invest in the bio oil and give it a try. Good luck and take care x
    • Posted

Hi Camper, thank you for your post. I am well behind all as my bend and straight legs are not good I have really tried to do exercises but do not seem to get far. I am however walking for 5-10 minutes a day and really walk properly. I am hoping that this afternoon exercises will be better once the staples are gone. I will invest in the bio oil and give it a try. Good luck and take care x
    • Posted

Definitely not well behind!  You are walking well, before staples are out??  Wonderful!  Don't be too hard on yourself . . As others have so often said, this is not a sprint but a marathon!
    • Posted

Have been to surgery to have staples removed nurse took every other one out and I have to go back tomorrow to have the other half out? Did anyone have any little blisters under the original dressing? It looks like I have a cluster, I will speak to nurse tomorrow, 
    • Posted

I didn't, but I do remember someone posting about that . .and as far as I remember it was not a problem, but good that you are going back tomorrow and can ask the nurse.  Fancy making you go two days in a row to have the staples out!
    • Posted

Bio oil from Asda is nearly £7 for 60ml but cheaper on line from the Bio Oil company via Amazon.  Good luck.
    • Posted

hope you dont mind me asking, how soon after surgey did you start with the bio oil? I get my op in 18 days(not that i am counting!) and am interested to know when the best time to use it would be, thanks
    • Posted

My physio said use nothing until the wound is completely healed and no scabs at all . . Mine took a week or two after the staples came out to be completely ready . . . 
    • Posted

When it's really healed and not looking angry. Twice a day. Elizabeth Arden eight hour cream is also amazing but wait till at least four weeks. It stains clothes as well so make sure it's rubbed in. My scar is hardly visible at six weeks and normally am not a good healer so pleased.
    • Posted

Of course I don't mind you asking.  My surgeon at Kings had staples removed on day 9 just before I went home (a day early he said but as I have Milroys disease - blockage of lymphatic drainage system since teenager - he wanted to be certain all was well beneath the staples).  I was told to start using the bio oil once home so from about day 10-11 and I found gently applying it rather soothing and actually applied it to both legs as skin very dry and flaky.  It felt, and still feels, lovely and my scar has healed beautifully.     Hope this has been of help.
    • Posted

thanks for that, I never thought of using the 8 hout cream, i use it for loads of stuff already (brillianf on cracked heels!) shame about the price but anything is worth a go
  • Posted

Glad you are home I have been thinking of you over the last few days,no point saying get well soon as I know its a long road, but the very best of wishes to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.