Im booked in for dermoid cyst removal, why do I have to have a full hysterectomy?

Posted , 6 users are following.

The consultant has told me that they dont think it is cancerous, Im not in any pain, it is 10cm in size, and Im 56. I cant understand why they want me to have a full hysterectomy when the scan showed it was attached to the right ovary. Can anyone explain this?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janeliza thats what happened to me but my cyst was attached to my righr ovarie.But they give me option to either have my overie out with the cyst,or have a full hysterectomy.So i said why do i have a option and she replied because we might have to go back in again.Because i mght get a cyst on the other ovarie.But if i had a hysterectomy it will be all over and done with .I had my hysterectomy on the 12th Sep.
  • Posted

I'm 49 and just had a bilateral salpingo oopharectony, which is a partial hysterectomy in that it is the removal of both ovaries and both fallopian tubes. This was due to a dermoid cyst in each ovary and was suggested because of my age. Younger and remove just the cyst, older the lot. Get your consultant to explain as it is important that you understand the in and outs. Wish I could have opted for that by the way as all be done and dusted, nothing left to go wrong or worry about so to speak smile
    • Posted

I havnt been even offered a partial hysterectomy, they said it would have to be a full one? x
    • Posted

We don't usually call it that in the UK, my surgeon does and so does my GP. It is actually called a Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy.

I do not know why your gynaecologist is thinking as they are so would advise you to ask them and also if this would be a suitable alternative for you.

Think to some it is all or nothing and is better to do so in some cases anyway. Could well be the age thing.

• Posted

Yeah same ere Tax im 49 as well xx

• Posted

Makes sense as a 1 in 10 chance will occur on other ovary as well. The nearer you are to 50 the greater the risks associated with that.
    • Posted

Hi

I just got the impression that, yes its my age, but also down to money, if they do the full hysterectomy before having the cyst diagnosed, they dont have to go back and do it again. My problem is Im in no pain, and the thought of taking everything out because of cost frightens me. I just dont know what to do. I didnt really ask many questions, because when they mentioned full hysterectomy I was shocked, especially after they had told me it was very unlikely to be cancerous. xx

• Posted

If those are your feelings you must discuss them with the consultant Ring there secreatary or speak to your GP to arrange this if not already booked to see them. Write down questions as you think of them then take it with you, two copies one for them as well
    • Posted

Ive been to see my GP, she thinks it is very harsh and is referring me for a second opinion. At least I feel better that someone has sat and listened to me, because the gyn just wasnt interested.
    • Posted

Good and thinking of you. Glad that at least someone listened and seems to have taken on board what you were saying.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Thanks Taz, I will make my decision when ive had a second opinion, Im just living with a constant headache, lol.

x x x

• Posted

Tension more than likely. Do your neck and shoulders ache as weell?
  • Posted

That is exactly what happened to me  when they thought they had found a 11cm cyst.I phoned my doc up and they made an appointment with there care team for ladies who are going to have hysterectomy.But when they opened me up the cyst was the size of a yellow melon.So really it was a good job i picked hysterecetomy.I had the op on the 12th Sep and i am still inpain.I cant wait to get back to normal.Not sure when the pain will go xxx

• Posted

Still in pain after the partial on 15th and GP says be a couple of weeks in pain, could be three, then 6 to 8 to recover. Maybe a little longer for you as a bigger op but I have alot of other medical conditions as well which slow things up so may find that for you it is quicker

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.