Imagining pinworm symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had anal itch for two days it went away with the help of cortisone 10. I read about pinworms online and self treated with Reeces Pinword medicine I haven't seen any live worms and haven't seen the Dr. my symptoms now are constantly needing to deficate tingling burning the only itching is right above my crack everything I re read online is a horror story it all says something different what is the truth who or what can I believe I have severe GAD my anal area feels constantly wet

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I do think this is an anxiety symptom, as with anxiety it can cause you to become hypersensitive to so many sensations across the body. I would first see if this is not the result of something like a heat rash, especially considering how you mention the burning itch, as (in my experience) pinworms never caused a burning sensation.

I had a pinworm issue myself when I was 14. Got them when I was on a school trip to Belgium from the hostel we were staying in (lucky me) and they took quite a while to get rid of. They are very uncomfortable things and you can definitely notice when you get them, I won't go into too much detail though as it's not really the most glamorous topic. I will say if you did, you would very likely see some in any stool you pass.

I read things online too, about how people have them for 20 years or something sensational like that, and honestly.. I hate media. Bad news sells, we are humans are biologically made to hunt out bad news as it would have helped us prepare for danger when we needed more instinct than we do now. That's why it sells.

Do not worry though, even if it was what you think there are extremely effective medications out there. The medication works by disabling the worms abilities to absorb sugars from our body, that combined with a sugar restrictive diet for a few weeks will ensure they don't live long.

Take care, always here if you need someone to talk to

Kyle

• Edited

Thank you for listening I see my psychiatrist on the 24th but not my GP until the 29th of September I'm not on meds for anxiety just bipolar Everything I read said if there's any anal discomfort its definitely worms. I don't know what to do. I self treated with Reeces Pinworm Medicine and don't know if I've got them just don't know if I can trust myself what did you do

• Posted

I used mebendazole, which I got from the pharmacist and restricted my sugar intake for 2 weeks. It didn't last forever, but anal itching does not always mean it is worms. It could just be general irritation or a small tear on the lining. There are so many benign causes for a symptom like that, so it's hard to put an indication on it. You quite literally feeling an itchy 'wriggle' feeling and it is very distinct from just an itch.

If you're in doubt you could ring for a phone consultation with your doctor, they may ask for a stool sample to determine the cause in this case, but I haven't been to the GP for such an issue since 2007 so I am a little unsure how they would do it now. Pinworms also become active at and during night hours, as this is the time they exit the gut to lay eggs.

I am also not on any medication other than Propranolol for my anxiety, but I will contact my doctor to attempt (for the 4th time) to get a prescription for antidepressants. It is tough when you must go these things with just your willpower and determination but you will get there, believe me! Plus, try not to believe everything on the internet, it's a minefield of subjective and anecdotal 'facts' that are more so just opinion than anything else.

Take it from me, you're being very sensible about this situation and taking all the right steps as someone who is worried about their health would take. If it is pinworms on the off-chance too, you've already got on top of it with medication. Just ensure you do not think too much about it as with an anxious mind it can make symptoms up, or worsen already existing symptoms. The mind is a funny thing but we're ultimately under control of it!

Take care,

Kyle

• Posted

It feels wet and itchy on my buttocks and right where my back and crack are

• Posted

Irritation can cause that, I would recommend showering frequently and if it doesn't go away after a few days of showing and perhaps applying something like sudocrem to any areas you believe to be rashy then make an appointment to the doctors.

I know these symptoms could be embarrassing to discuss to someone in person, or on video given the circumstances it is always better to have peace of mind over an anxious mind.

Take care Dianne, all the best

Kyle

• Posted

It was quite sudden if I am honest, it did last a couple month in my case but it was more so just a situation of waking up and no longer having this uncomfortable sensation. You definitely do notice when you're no longer suffering with the infection.

If you can physically see them too, they diminish in amount significantly - for me it was very sudden though.

Wish you the best,

Kyle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.