Imminent total knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Well, after having my left hip replaced just over two years ago, I've just been told I need my left knee replaced (bad luck or what?). It's likely that this will happen in 6 to 10 weeks time. I know knee replacements are more complex than hips and I wondered if anyone could give me a general indication of how long I'm likely to be off work. I don't get sick pay so want to get back to work as soon as poss. I have a job where I'm on my feet all day.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Minimum6 weeks but usually 8. Had mine two weeks ago. They do ask what job you do. 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this but they wouldn't be doing the op id it wasn't needed. Usually they say three months but there are many peopleon here who have gone backearlierso they will give you the full story. Goodl uck.
  • Posted

Hi!

I went back to my part time admin job this week after 6 weeks off, but to be honest, I've felt very unwell all week and my knee has been very painful, so I'll be glad to get to the end of next week as I've got Christmas week and New year week off as holiday! I sit down for the majority of the time at work but I don't think that I'd have lasted the week if I'd have to stand all day in a full time job. Everyone heals at different rates, but at 57 I'm finding it hard to return to work and it's only part time!

• Posted

Thanks for the very quick replies. I suppose it depends on each individual. Gonna aim to get back within 6 weeks if I can. Wish me luck.
    • Posted

Yes, good luck with the op and keep us all posted as to how it goes! 
  • Posted

This is a tricky question as we all heal differently. My 1st time around my therapist told me "my job is to teach you how to get back on your feet but getting there completely depends on how much you want it and how much you put into it".  No one on here is going to mislead you, if its a text book case of surgery/recovery you are probably looking at 6-8 weeks especially if there is much lifting, stooping etc. However, as you will see looking through these threads, there are relatively few text book cases. I'm sure most will advise you to start working in your quads, hamstrings, lower back muscles getting them firm and strong but not overly tight. Its much easier before than afterwards. The drs won't tell you about the mental stress you go through with tkr. This isn't meant to frighten but as advice. Stay with this group as they know what you are going through daily and can can and will offer sage advice.......much of it with a little good humor as an added touch. Best of luck. BTW, what part of the world are you located. We have contributors from a number of countries. One of them might be close enough to be familiar with your hospital and their protocol.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments. You have actually answered one of my main questions. I wondered if strengthening my quads pre op would assist my recovery. I know what you mean about mental stress, I had a little of that after having my hip replaced. I live in the NE of England and am attending the Spire Hospital Washington. Thanks again for your comments, it's comforting to know there are others who have gone through it and are well placed to offer valuable advice.
    • Posted

Do I take it you are self-employed? If you are employed, even if you don't get sick pay from your employer you should get statutory sick pay.

But do bear in mind that forcing a return to work could mean you ending up being off work even longer than by being patient.

• Posted

Definitely do your quad work. You will need this strength after the op. I had mine two weeks ago and feel tired a lot. First day out today and I am shattered. Only went out for 4, hours. I think this op really takes it out of you. Our physio seems to be different in uk as well. All the work you put in now will certainly help you afterwards.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan, I'll start my quad work right away. Good luck with your recovery, I hope you're fully mobile and pain free very soon.
  • Posted

I have had my knee done, and may need a hip and my other knee lol. I would say 8 weeks minimum if you are on your feet all day . You need to elevate quite often or it will really swell 

Pam 5 months post op 

• Posted

Yes, hip, knee, hip, knee that's how it goes. It's a bit like the okey cokey, but a lot more painful. 

Everyone here will help you through. The main advice is to always take your pain meds, even if you think you don't need them. Exercise, but listen to your body. Drink lots of water. Don't be afraid to cry.

Caz-12weeks post TKR Australia

• Posted

I had partisl and theft said 6-8 weeks possibly months. They say everyone heal different.  The knee issue from hip is common.  Cause knee is connected to hip muscles. Best luck. 
  • Posted

Thanks everyone fo the sound advice. I'll take on board your comments and I'll keep you posted as things progress.
  • Posted

i spent a lot of time swimming before my tkr that was done in feb and went back swimming again till my 2nd tkr in august and swear it helped , i have a full time job in a busy kitchen feeding 1700 people in about an hour and a half , there is a lot of prep and im on my feet all 8 hours . i have been of work due to the pain in both knees and lack of movement  and really wanted to get back as soon as poss  so 12 weeks after my 2nd i went back and it is very tough indeed , really didnt think it would be that hard but i did it and feel much better for doing so but without the swimming i dont think it would have been that fast , i was told that if you have a sit down job work is poss after 6 weeks and 12 weeks for a on your feet job ,a lot depends on you and how you recover , after the first knee i pushed it too much and it really wasnt worth it so the 2nd time i worked at it all the time but slower and took more time to ice elevateand rest , it isnt an easy opp and you do have very down days ,all this is normal and recovery is slow too but you will notice a change every day so good luck steadt and easy does it 

• Posted

Thanks. My 1st Job 5 days week 8hra 2nd one is  10 hrs on weekends. An that one I get to set.  Basicly I'm there companion. Occasional I get down thing for them. Been there 8 yrs so it's more like family... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.