Impaired Sexual Maturation Associated with Sleep Apnea Syndrome During Puberty

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello All,

First off, I wanted to say how awesome and engaging this community is. Thanks for having me. It's a pleasure to actively engage in discussions with the most important thing in everyone's life -their health.

https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article-pdf/3/1/13/13663252/030102.pdf

This is a case study that was published in 1980. This case study highlights on impaired sexual maturity due to sleep apnea during puberty.

From what I hypothesize and what is highlighted in this article, "data suggest that sleep apnea during puberty may impair sexual development by preventing the sleep-related elevation in

LH secretion normally observed during a critical period spanning puberty".

The case study was performed on a post-pubertal 20 y/o male that had sleep apnea. LH and Testosterone serum levels were measured before and after improvement sleep apnea for this case study. Significant improvement of pulsatile nocturnal LH secretion were concomitant with treating sleep apnea for this patient, but genital size was not improved.

I hypothesize that this may very well be a hugely undiscussed epidemic that is prevalent in modern society which may be accounting for smaller sizes in men, for which many so quickly blame smaller sizes in men on "genetics".

Sleep apnea during puberty may very well impair optimal growth of genital development in men and women. Sleep apnea, especially during the pubertal period, can also be to blame for many disorders in adolescence and adulthood like ADHD, obesity, low muscle mass, fatigue, lines under eyes, daytime insomnolence, and many other outstanding health issues.

If LH is not being optimally secreted to do fulfill one of its responsibilities in growing the genitals to the genetic potential for the patient during this critical period spanning puberty, will genital development be permanently halted after the pubertal period elapses?

If continued sexual development cannot be achieved due to the interruption established by sleep apnea via an unknown mechanism, the billion dollar question is...is there a medication or solution that exists to reignite or continue this event that already occurred during puberty?

If my hypothesis is true and there exists a remedy for impaired sexual maturation caused by sleep apnea during puberty, many men with below average genital sizes may attain normal/larger genital sizes by continuing growth.

Any questions or comments? Thanks for reading.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.