Impetigo that never heals

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI,

I've been struggled with impetigo for a couple of years now. It took me a long time to realise what it was because it doesn't look like typical impetigo (I don't get the blistering spots). My skin is extremely weepy and then forms into crusts. When the crusts fall over it starts weeping again.

I've taken many courses of antibiotics over the past few years for a variety of stuff but presently the antibiotics don't seem to be doing anything at all for the impetigo. It's not even stopping the weeping. This is a real problem because one patch is on my eyelid so it's very noticeable. The weeping begins and my entire eyelid becauses raw. It got so bad that the scabbing was causing my eye to close up. Recently the impetigo has spread to behind the back of both ears so I can't even wear my glasses. I also have a patch in my bellybutton which has been constantly weepy for 10 months now. I also had a bout of impetigo in March which covered my entire face.

I have a dermatology appointment on Wednesday but I've never found them very helpful. They seem to want to send me away with antibiotics and steroid creams which just don't work. I've been reading a lot about the gut-skin connection know that taking antibiotics will probably only make things worse in the long run (and they're not even working at the moment anyway).

Has anyone else had impetigo that doesn't heal at all? I'd like to hear your experiences and what has helped you. I feel like the impetigo is ruining my life. I can't go out and do things because I'm self conscious and in pain and now I'm also having to take time off work so any advice woukd be really appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Poot, you have my sympathy, and I'm sorry I don't have much advice to offer.  I can't imagine having it so bad so that it never dries up what with all the medical "help" out there.  I feel fortunate I haven't spread what little I have over more of my face since I'll forget and touch my face, my eye areas, etc., without thinking, and I do wear glasses and fidget with them without thinking but clean them more often now.  What I had around my lips was misery.  With the change to spring, less cold wind and dryness and maybe being more physically active outdoors (but that's a mystery to me), mine seems to have finally calmed down at this point.  I still occasionally use the hydrocortisone 2.5% for an iffy spot on my nose but no more terrible weeping or hurting anymore (was recently extra stressed out with caring for my elderly mom's paperwork and her care in general).  I finally quit using lipstick and threw out my Vicks Vaporub, which I was addicted to using up the nose and on the lips.  I use Aquaphor and/or Triple Lanolin on my lips and nose and wash with liquid soap still.  I haven't had to return to the dermatologist and hope I never do again.  I saw the dental hygientist for a routine cleaning and even had to have a root canal recently and told all three of these people (that's two dentists and the hygienist) about my staph in the nose and mouth, but they had no advice to offer at all.  I'm glad I'm a retiree and don't have to be around too many people anymore.  Oh, I did business with a young bank officer who had a swollen upper lip; she was being treated but didn't have a diagnosis yet, and we compared notes.  Her problem didn't sound like staph, though.  I still take the same vitamins as before, extra vitamin C and D.  Like you, I think the antibiotics aren't good overall but was never given any oral antibiotics, just the mupirocin cream.  At least nasty as the two creams are, they will dry mine up.  I hope your "experts" will be willing to try something different on you.  Take care.  I hope someone else has actual advice that works for you. 

• Posted

Thanks ever so much for your reply Cindyho. To be honest I'm not sure what the dermatologist can do if I'm not responding to antibiotics? And I'm not sure I trust them anymore anyway. I'm not a fan of dermatologists! This is my 4th course of antibiotics since October! I have cut gluten, soya and sugar from my diet which is really hard going because I'm vegan too. I also have eczema which has been getting much worse the last few years. The doctors think that's the cause for my impetigo but I disagree. It's places where I've had different types of infections, like a big stye on my eyelid. I work in a school and it's got to the point where I'm having to take time off because of it. The doctors tell me that I'm not contagious after taking antibiotics for 24 hours but I'm not sure I believe that if it's still weeping. I really can't see an end to it at the moment. I've used steroid and protopic creams which do work but it only comes back as soon as I stop taking them. Hopefully something will break the cycle soon.

I'm pleased to hear that your impetigo is clearing up. I really hope it stays that way for you. It's a vicious circle because I'm sure stress doesn't help but once you have an outbreak that makes you stressed! Be careful with the hydrocortisone because those types of creams can ruin the immunity of your skin and kill all the good bacteria on it that protects it. I think this is why my eyelid won't heal because I've used a lot of protopic cream on it. Many thanks for your reply. Take care and I hope for no more impetigo outbreaks for you.

• Posted

Poot, it sounds like your diet is much better than mine.  I can't say I've changed it much over the years - I still like some sweets and am not vegan.  I know what you mean about the steroids and the antibiotics.  I certainly hope you're able to find some combination treatment that works for you soon.  God bless. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.