Impinged Sciatic nerve

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if they have had any experience of either left sciatic nerve impingement causing numbness to the right side,or vice versa,this seems to have 4 Neurologists,4 MRI,s,1 Xray,EMG tests and over 2 years down the line, at a loss, and still no answer,would really appreciate any feedback from anyone who,s experienced this phenomenon,thanks in advance....

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phil, I have numbness down my right side, from just under my bum cheek down to back of my knee, round the heel of my foot and ankle and down outside of my foot and baby toe from nerve impingement which I've had now for the last 3 months. I actually went to see a doctor about this to find out what this meant and all he wanted to talk about was having surgery, which I refused as have no sciatic pain just numbness, so I am no wiser either, I was also walking with a slight limp and couldn't push myself up onto the front of my foot as I seemed to have no strength in it which I'm happy to say has now got better and I can now push myself up and no longer limp so that's good. I have another appointment which is not until March where I hope to find out more. When I asked if the surgery would bring the feeling back he said he couldn't say yes or no, so can't see the point in surgery? I don't know but I don't think they can tell if you will get the feeling back or not I think it just differs from person to person and how damaged the nerves are, I have read that it can take years for your nerves to start waking up and working again apparently

• Posted

Hi Debbie,Whilst i accept your symptoms are the same as mine my main issue i have is the unexplainable fact that you have 2 Sciatic Nerves,1 comes out of the spine on the left and serves the left leg etc,and 1 comes out on the right side and serves the right side,well after over 2 years and being examined by 4 neurologists and all the relevant tests to no avail, yesterday i tried an Osteopath,he really knew his stuff,after testing the reflexes of both Sciatic nerves he said that although my symptoms are on the left it,s the Sciatic nerve on the right hand side that isn't responding,so he had never come across this before and was therefore totally mystified,hence my post on here,just wanted to know if anyone had experienced the same phenomenon.

Getting back to your situation,did it happen overnight like mine did?has it been diagnosed as a Herniated disc?if so you,ve done well to get it diagnosed within 3 months,it,s been over 2 years for me and still no diagnosis,although on my last MRI it did show nerve impingement on the RIGHT side,so the Neurologist just dismissed that as symptoms are on the left!!! and fobbed me off by arranging for another MRI on the Piriformis after my telling him for about the 3rd time that due to the pain deep inside my bum cheek that i think that,s where the problem lies,but since discovering this yesterday(and Piriformis test found it to be ok) i really don,t see the point in having that MRI.Just 1 last point that may help you if you have the same foot problem as me,the sole of the affected foot is so painful when putting pressure on it(especially using the clutch when driving) without any shoe on,the best way to describe the feeling is it,s like there,s nothing between the skin and the bone,so i got some orthontic sole insoles,they helped a lot but i now use sketchers which have inbuilt memory foam soles,hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Phil, so you've had a few MRI scans, have you not been diagnosed with a herniated disc or anything then? Surely there's something there that is touching the sciatic nerve which is causing your problem. I would definitely have another MRI if I was you as you need to know what is causing this.

Mine didn't happen over night, I was getting a couple of months here and there where I'd get sciatica for a while and then it would go. Then one day it just wouldn't go, I had it pretty bad for about a year before my doctor sent me for  physio, but that only made it worse so physio referred me for an MRI which I had around August last year, I was diagnosed  with L5/S1 disc herniation with canal stenosis and right S1 root compression, but they didn't say what side my disc was herniated on? I have been lucky as they booked me in as urgent for the injections for a couple of weeks later, but found a couple of stretches on YouTube that helped so much I didn't need it. I was then good for a couple of months then beginning of November I done something stupid and basically couldn't walk for a week, pain went shortly after but now got this numbness in my leg and foot. My foot was painful for a while when I put my shoes on it felt like something was in my shoe which was pinching my foot, but that has also gone now thank god, and luckily I drive an automatic car lol but thanks for the advise, I have seen someone else say that putting certain insoles in their shoes helped a lot, anyway I hope you find the answers your looking for and defo have the other MRI scan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.