Important question

Posted , 10 users are following.

My tkr on my left knee was 3 months ago. I was so lucky to have almost no pain after surgery but PT has been hard! I am a 69 year old female a bit overweight because of the lack of activity for months before my surgery. Anyway I was out of shape and muscles had gotten weak making PT harder. I was doing well, my ROM is 115-118. I have no problems with it going straight. The PT has gone to more intense. I have a hip that needs replacement as well as my other knee. I did very well at first and was almost ready to give up the cane, I often did not use it at all in the house. Now after them adding the bicycle and heavier weights at PT I am almost ready to dig out my walker! I can barely walk and put a huge amount of weight on my cane. At home I ice and elevate as often as possible. Every weekend when I have not had PT for a few days I begin to improve and feel better. My question is am I doing too much at PT? Should I be slowing down with it or will that hurt my recovery long term? My surgeon said PT was up to me now as he felt 118 was good enough. My therapist wants me to do a few more weeks and reach 120 and build more strength. I would agree but am getting very depressed with the pain. I used to leave PT feeling energized and limber, now I leave in pain and holding onto my cane for dear life. Hubby is about to have back surgery and I have taken on a lot more work at home then before. Not sure what to do, need opinions from those of you who have done both. I have a pool at home that I have used once or twice a week, but weather is changing and not sure how much longer that will be possible. I also have a recumbent bike and was doing 7 minutes on it but it is one of the things that really gets my hip and knees aching. A lot of my pain is coming from the bad hip and bad knee but some comes from back of calve of lower tkr leg. Help this has me ready to quit PT.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Peggy. First of all a PT cannot feel your pain. Totally back off. You were doing fine on your own so continue on that path. If it hurts don't do it!! I learn that with my PT and NO works well

Healing is NOT a race. Slow and easy works much better. Listen to your body and take gradual baby steps with the bike. I'm not quite 5 months since TKR and thought I would up the scale and do hills and a challenging level which set me back two days of pain and swelling. This morning I ride for 15 minutes on mannul. No hurry for me. It takes time!!

Feel better soon

Gissele

• Posted

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I do know that you should not be leaving PT in pain! I suggest you stop PT and continue with exercises that work for you at home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.