Improving

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well, 2 weeks post op and had my staples out this morning, 37 in total and was a total wuss having them out, lol. Down fro 2 crutches to 2 sticks and knee flexion back up to 95, after a lot of hard work put in. I was told to wear my compression socks for 6 weeks but they leave my skin itchy, has anyone else just worn them for 2 weeks and then left them, I really don't like wearing them.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Diane, I only wore mine for one day while in the hospital.  That being said, I had to wear a DVT device for two weeks at night that continually squeezed my lower legs.

Not too sure which is worse LOL

• Posted

I had that for the first night, mind you I was out of it a bit, lol.
  • Posted

I wouldn't call you a wuss. 37 staples is a lot to come out well done is what I'd say x.

I'm 10 days post op but my wound has been glued but like you I cannot stand wearing the stockings anymore either. They itch and hurt my legs and decided to take them off today. It's absolute bliss. I'm having an injection every night to stop blood clots forming so I thought I should be ok. Hope you continue to improve and wish you all the best x

• Posted

Hi, I wore my compression stockings for 3 weeks but was told 6 weeks, couldn't stand them any longer, I also had the injection for 2 weeks, I am now nearly 5 weeks post op and so far everything is fine.
  • Posted

Had double tkr and 54 staples...and I had to hold the nurses hand and get a cold compress after first knee done. Almost came off table lol! So NO you are not a wuss. I wore my stockings for the first week and then they hurt my chubby legs. I was taking cumaden since I was just 2 months post op another major surgery and had 2 weeks of the shots. My cardiologist said as long as I stayed on track with meds and stayed mobile I should do well. 11 weeks post op and all's good!
  • Posted

Had double tkr and 54 staples...and I had to hold the nurses hand and get a cold compress after first knee done. Almost came off table lol! So NO you are not a wuss. I wore my stockings for the first week and then they hurt my chubby legs. I was taking cumaden since I was just 2 months post op another major surgery and had 2 weeks of the shots. My cardiologist said as long as I stayed on track with meds and stayed mobile I should do well. 11 weeks post op and all's good!
  • Posted

Oh, Diane! Don't feel bad! Even two or three staples freaks me out, let alone THIRTY-SEVEN!😲

I literally had a rolled-up towel in my mouth as my home nurse was taking my staples out. I was trying to put myself mentally on some beautiful beach somewhere, listening to the soothing lapping of waves. My plan worked through staple one and two. Staple three REALLY HURT, and I once again tried to get back on that beach!

I think two weeks was too long to leave those staples in. My skin apparently heals pretty quick, and the staples were EMBEDDED. My nurse had to kind of DIG them out! Oooooooooo!

I made it through Staple 29, the LAST ONE!🙌 Then, before I could get my head between my knees, I flat out FAINTED. Yep! FAINTED. I came to and looked at my nurse's face. She looked really scared. She said I looked like I might have had a seizure. I said, " No, I felt it coming on but couldn't get my head down soon enough." ( How to annoy a nurse 101!)

Anyway, all turned out OK, the RESCUE SQUAD she called came, checked me out and left, and my husband got home from work and several of my neighbors came over after seeing the Rescue Squad. ( I felt like maybe I should have served tea to the party or maybe something a bit stronger to my NURSE!)

You are BRAVE compared to ME!

I wore my compression socks 24/7 until STAPLE DAY.

I hope you continue to do well! Keep us posted, OK?

• Posted

Diane I had my post op last Thursday which was my two weeks as well. Hady staples removed and everything looked good. Dr. Saidy swelling wasore than normal but wanted to wait until my next visit to drain. Yea I hate the compression sock and Dr. Said I don't have to wear it anymore. I still do occasionally because of my swelling but take it off often. My surgery area is itchy but I put lotion on around the incision area..not on it. I work real hard on walking heal to toe without a cane but when my leg gets tired and I get sloppy walking I use my cane. Otherwise, all is good and I'm just going through the crappy part of recovery. Sounds like your doing well and keep up the good work. I know some days are harder then others but will get through this and eventually feel much better then before the surgery. Wish you well my friend!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.