In defence of mirtazapine

Posted , 28 users are following.

I keep reading on this forum how mirtazapine is an evil drug; how people want to get off it as soon as possible etc.  Very few posts saying it helps them.

I appear for the defence , M'Lud. 

I was on SSRI antidepressants for some time.  They countered my extreme anxiety well, but I had bad insomnia probably caused by the  AD.  I tried various drugs for the insomnia (zopiclone,  amitriptyline etc) but with little success.   My doctor suggested mirtazapine but I declined as I had read about its weight gain side effect.  However eventually I changed my mind out of desparation.  The mirt was miraculous: it completely solved the insomnia.   I felt "normal" for the first time in months. 

"But what about the side effects" I hear you say.  Well, I did get back my appetite - but no more than it was before I became ill.   I gained a little weight, but no more than I had lost.

I did have difficulty getting up in the morning and feeling groggy after that, but those lessened with time. I take the minimum mirt that allows me to get to sleep - about 11mg,  and I think that keeps the side effects down.

Mirtazapine is like a knife in that it is not evil in itself, it is how it is used that matters.   The people who say it is evil have perhaps been on the wrong dose.  Mirt tends to be more sedative at low doses; more activating at high doses.   Do not throw out the baby with the bath water!

I get the impression from reading posts on this forum that mirt is best used (at low dose) to counter insomnia or where an SSRI antidepressant has not been tolerated.      

6 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am also going to say that I think Mirtazapine has helped me along with Venlafaxine I am on 45 Of Mirtazapine and 150 Venlafaxine. I am slightly amazed that I needed so much medication to make feel normal. I am in my mid 70s and did have a breakdown in my 20s. I led from there on quite a challenging life without medication but my problems started after having my gallbladder removed end of January this year. I have decided that I was unable to deal with the relative slowness of my recovery. I am now sleeping well and am much more relaxed. Weight wise I am no heavier than before I started the medication. I am pretty careful about the amount I eat but I don't find this a problem as I have a hiatus hernia and was told to graze was the best way to eat. ie. Little and often.

The only dislike have is that Venlafaxine does tend to leave a metalic taste in my mouth between meals. We are all different and what suits one doesn't suit another. Maggie

• Posted

Thanks Maggie, another vote for California Rocket Fuel!

I noticed a metallic taste at one time, maybe when I started mirt. I do not notice it now; perhaps I am used to it.      

• Posted

Seems similiar to me mvwaugh... I was on 150 Venlafaxine 2 years ago but reduced the Venlafaxine to 75mg 6 months ago. I am so glad that you are doing well and hope you continue to get better in your physical conditions smile
    • Posted

how many milligrams of each? i just started Celexa and can't sleep. thinking of going back to Mirtz for sleep. How many milligrams of each are you taking? (and sorry for prying)
    • Posted

I take 100mg sertraline for anxiety and 7.5mg mirt for sleep.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

I'm with you on this. All I ever read is how bad mirt is. How people cant wait get of it. How much weight people have gained. And mirt the evil drug ruined my life

I'm on 45 mg and I sleep better. I do eat more, but i have a quiet active job so haven't put on any weight .

It saved me from suicidal thoughts which I had when on sertraline. Saved my 3 hrs a night sleep with horrendous night mares.

So all in all its a plus from me. Had a few bad days but that's when my situation changed.

I think a people that respond well drift of back to their normal lives and thus leave this site . So it just leaves the bad stories.

I'll carry on with the mirt for as long as it takes.

😊Rich

• Posted

Glad it's working for you Rich ☺All the best
    • Posted

I am very glad it is working for you too Rich.

Best wishes,

Sunbird

• Posted

I would just like to add here,for people who are on Mirtazapine for life,it probably works great.  The problem starts if you have to withdraw from Mirt.

Nobody here seems to have tried withdrawing from Mirt,that's the real problem with it.

I also don't know if any of you have read David's story,he's been WD for 7mths and been reduced from a very strong man Fire chief, down to he can't even move from his home he's in so much pain. And that goes for me as well.  On it fine if you have to WD hell.

• Posted

Hi Norma I am withdrawing from mirtazipine and tried the top dose 45mg I went down to 30mg now on 22 and half over a month I get terrible aches and pains lethargic but at this stage it is just about bearable oh and I can barely sleep anymore 💐
    • Posted

Hi Louise , I sincerely feel for your distress.  I also started at 45mg I've now got to 15mg but not without severe WD symptoms. ie severe Stomack pain,lethargic,and I go in and out of sleep. I've tried reducing a bit lower but the WD symptoms just get worse.

See how you go and if you go on struggling,I'll introduce you to someone with a lot more experience than me who has finally WD.

Good luck and you take real care of yourself,oh and just a thought vit D is a bit of help.

• Posted

I do not disagree with you in principle.  I have no experience withdawing from mirt.   What I have tried to do is address the bias in postings on this forum.    For a start I do not believe everyone will go through hell if they withraw.   Also many people do not need to withdraw.   

I agree that people who want to start mirt and foresee having to withdraw from it later should take WD side effects into account.

They have to balance the likely benefits of mirt against the likely WD effects.   To do that they need a balanced appraisal of those things - which they have not been getting on this forum.

I sympathise with your experience and that of David,  but I doubt it is typical. Perhaps you could try to find out by starting a thread which invites postings from people who have SUCCESSFULLY withrawn rather than those who are finding it hell.  The problem is that they probably do not read these forums.             

• Posted

Thank you so much Norma I am on the 22 and half for another two day's then its down to 15mg just lately whilst trying to get to sleep I've been having really strong brain zaps like being electrocuted without the pain it's a very scary feeling 😔 I am going to buy some vitamin tablets today willing to try anything to lessen the wds .

Sorry to hear your suffering too I wish you all the best 💐

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.