In my Week 1 After TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had my tkr on my right knee last Wednesday and returned home on Saturday. I'm 57. Of course, like all, one day is fantastic and then you have a bad night, but I'm already pleased I had the operation. I have a couple of questions that I would like others to give me their experience on:

1. It feels as if my whole day and evening is taken up with exercises as my pt said I have to do them every hour and then a walk every two hours, followed by an ice pack. The booklet says 3-4 times a day, which seems more realistic. I've settled on 7-8 times a day. Each session is about 15 mins.

2. Painkillers- I'm taking 2 x 500mg paracetamol with the option of an additional 1 to 2 dihydrocodeine tablets. I've been needing 1 of those each time and sometimes the 2nd one too. Is that too much, should I try harder to reduce it?

Thanks for any help those of you beyond week 1 can give me. I still can't lift my right leg up off my bed without the help of my dressing gown cord and the PT seems to think I should. Although some of the exercises do bring tears when I'm more tired, I am persevering.

Denise

0 likes, 36 replies

Report / Delete

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Whoa whoa! You are doing way too much that early on. How is your swelling? If it is a lot then you have to reconsider the pt. And don't worry about taking too much meds. You're not a druggie! You need them to be able to move, that's what they're for. At this stage your main concern is healing and ice.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Without wanting to disagree with your PT, every hour for excercises seems too much and hardly gives you time to recover in between.

I was told to do the exercises three times daily, and go for several short walks around my garden daily.

I'm not surprised you are exhausted.

Listen to your body. If you are almost in tears, you are pushing yourself too hard.

We all get there in the end, make it easier for yourself. At your stage you should be resting more.

do what you feel comfortable doing. I know the therapists are keen to get you as good as possible, but sometimes they are too keen.

Take it at your own pace.

If you can't do a straight leg raise, don't worry, you will eventually.

If you need painkillers, take them all the time, don't wait for the pain to kick in.

I had both my knees done separately, and didn't push myself so much.

You will get better, Be kind to yourself.x.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's a long painful recovery, but all of us on this forum will have been through what you are going through, and the key to a good recovery, is exercise, ice, and patience.

You will get frustrated at times, and upset, it's all normal.

It will have been so worth it in 12 months time, and yes it can take so long, everyone is different in recovery time.

Stress doesn't help you. You need a calm approach, and rest.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Denise, you are over doing things. If your in tears while doing your pt then your over doing it. You should be doing pt 3x a day as tolerable. You should be resting and icing that leg! The swelling alone will make pt more difficult and so will the pain. PT has good intentions but your body is telling you that your not ready for certain things. PT'S like to go by the book and every patient is different! Rest is the best thing for you right now and keeping that leg elevated above your heart. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Wow Denise that is far too much. I'm 12 days in , and not doing as much as that. (I'm 56). You need to balance getting moving with healing.

I am getting worried because I can't do the leg raise at all despite trying really hard. I looked on you tube and there are some really good short videos by two physios who seem realistic in their expectations. They say initially don't worry so much about the strength- that will come- concentrate on the bending and straightening. Have a look- they made me feel better!

I don't know where you all live, but I'm in UK, and we have physio a few times in hospital then go home with exercises on a piece of paper! I have an appointment 19 days after the op when my letter says they will assess my progress and decide if I need anymore appointments! So we are very much on our own, making it hard to know if doing enough or not.

I'm using you tube as my advisors, and in touch with 3 fellow patients that had op at the same time and supporting each other.

As for meds Denise I cut mine down a bit but then exercises became impossible, so I've realised the meds are to help me so am taking the lot for now!

Slow down a bit, and good luck xxxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Agree with all tht is said above. Don't try to rush things and every person heals differently.

As to the not being able to life leg - I had the same problem. I was given a leg lifter which is a bit like a dog lead - you know the trick ones where you walk an invisible dog. I was getting frustrated as no matter how I tried the lower leg/foot wouldn't budge. My physio said I was trying to lift with the wrong muscles. I was trying to lift from the thigh or hip not the knee - because that muscle was still tramatised.  He made me life the other leg so I could feel the correct muscle working and soon afterwards I managed to shift it a bit. Was only mms at first, but once I knew what to do it progressed.  I hope that explaination makes sense or ask you physio to explain better.  Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up