In my Week 1 After TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had my tkr on my right knee last Wednesday and returned home on Saturday. I'm 57. Of course, like all, one day is fantastic and then you have a bad night, but I'm already pleased I had the operation. I have a couple of questions that I would like others to give me their experience on:

1. It feels as if my whole day and evening is taken up with exercises as my pt said I have to do them every hour and then a walk every two hours, followed by an ice pack. The booklet says 3-4 times a day, which seems more realistic. I've settled on 7-8 times a day. Each session is about 15 mins.

2. Painkillers- I'm taking 2 x 500mg paracetamol with the option of an additional 1 to 2 dihydrocodeine tablets. I've been needing 1 of those each time and sometimes the 2nd one too. Is that too much, should I try harder to reduce it?

Thanks for any help those of you beyond week 1 can give me. I still can't lift my right leg up off my bed without the help of my dressing gown cord and the PT seems to think I should. Although some of the exercises do bring tears when I'm more tired, I am persevering.

Denise

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just take care with all of that book scheduling. All too often this is way too much for the average person and can cause setbacks. Listen to your body. Don't push yourself into pain as it will keep you from doing things correctly. I've always found throughout my 5 rehabs that if you take it slow, do the exercises correctly you do better. Trying to push too hard too fast causes you to get tired and and either do things incorrect or incomplete.

A couple of other things. At your level, take pain meds on schedule and hydrate all day long

• Posted

Everyone has there on pace but thats to much i started 3 times a day now 2 times a day but more repititions im 17 days post op things are going well im at 110 on rom i see my doctor tomorrow. This forum has been a great support for me . So dont stress it will all come i was taking heavy meds and now coming off slowly . I will keep you in my prayers.
  • Posted

No offense, but your PT is trying to push you beyond your endurance.  
  • Posted

Wow you're really setting yourself up for failure. It's only been a week! You've been butchered! By all means take your pain pills on schedule. Don't wait for the pain to set in first. Listen to your body. If it makes you cry don't do it. You are on step one of months of recovery. Ice elevate ice elevate ice elevate and rest rest rest. Just take it slow as you are very early on and need your rest. Nap when you can. Just set up camp on the couch with your meds water pillows ice and remote. Do your range of motion exercises. Please just be kind to yourself. It's okay to cry if you're sad. I cried constantly. Be strong.

• Posted

Hi Ddnise

The problem with physio's they want you to do everything yesterday and most of them although they do a great job haven't been through this im 9 week's tkr i did to much to soon then listened to people in here and slowed it right down and it was much better rest is just as important as the old fat guy says we have been chopped, sawn ,cut ,and a big lump of plastic and metal shoved in there just take it slowly its a long haul good luck and take care .

• Posted

Thank you everyone for all your comments and great advice. It has made me think a lot about the recovery and that I'm only at the start of a very long journey. I'm going to listen to my body, take it slower and keep up the painkillers. I feel so much better this morning. The mental process is also such a key part of recovery. Good luck to all of you and thank you again for helping me - I'm feeling positive and on track!

• Posted

Denise,

You are doing just fine. The reason for the frequency is to keep the muscles warm and stretched. Cold muscles contract and do not want to move.

All narcotics should be respected...take what you need without exceeding the limitations your physician gave to you.

To lift your leg off of the bed, you need to develope the quadriceps, the thigh muscles on top. You can do this by purposefully contracting the muscle, hold for ten seconds, releasing the muscle. Do ten repetitions five times per day.

Yup, your new job title is Exerciser!

Ice, lots of ice and high elevation. I parked myself in bed causr I could prop up lots of pillows, stock the bedside table, be closer to the potty, and have plenty of space to spread out stuff while I exercised during the commercials on television

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I had TKR 4 and a half years ago. (A bit further down the road than you are at the moment!!).

It was quite a while before I could life my leg onto the bed without the help of dressing gown chord.  A month or so I would say.

But I could lift it off the bed.

I would not worry about it at this stage, just do what you can.

Keep up the exercises and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Did anyone develop a rash on their back after surgery? I've got one that's really annoying. I've started to take antihistamines and that seems to slowly be working

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.