In need of Rectocele repair. Nervous! Need info on surgery options.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I am new to patient forums. Just reviewing several groups i have found this site to be very positive and helpful. I was diagnosed with pelvic wall prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, with thin perineal wall. History of constipation. Two children, two heard labor/deliveries. The surgeon wants to go in through my abdomen which I am uncomfortable with. Also, he wants to remove a large amount of colon and reattach in order to "pull things up" hence fixing the rectocele. No mesh used. Has anyone had a surgery like this?

Also, He mentioned having a partial hysterectomy at the same time but has not mentioned fixing the cyctocele... any suggestions on whether or not I should suggest it all be done at once?

I would much rather the surgery be done through the vaginally wall but he has just mentioned through the abdomen or rectum. I am so nervous I an tempted to delay what I know is inevitable. I know I need the surgery but I want to make sure I know all of my options and the best one for me. Amy help is greatly appreciated! ! Thank you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Apologize for the many typos, lol. I am using my cell phone and using swipe. Proofreading is always a good thing to remember, lol.

• Posted

Hi I fully understand your anxieties and although only having a rectocele PR, it took me 2 years to get it done as I kept cancelling and putting of the inevitable.

My repair was vaginally as I have previously had a full hysterectomy and a colpulsuspension for a bladder prolapse.

My friend did have a similar op to yourself and this was keyhole and included mesh.

My only advice is to make another appt and discuss whether there are different options available to you before you make a decision. But, eventually you will need surgery as gravity can be cruel!

I think we are all scared of the unknown. I was! But the healing has been as bad as I anticipated and for me going to toilet in a normal position and without feeling like I am giving birth is at the moment great!

Good luck and make the choice that's right for you.

• Posted

Oops sorry just reread and I meant the healing has NOT been as bad as anticipated! 😊
  • Posted

Hi Sonador  You are wise to get as much info as you can.  I also had the anterior/posterior and perineum repair done in October 2014.  It took me a long time to reach the decision to have operation, i mean years.  I was so fed up with not feeling very feminine and some probs with not emptying my bowels fully and forever needing to pee.  After 8 1/2 weeks post op of adhering to all the advice given (no lifting, hoovering, driving, sex) sadly 1 week after discharged by consultant i felt a lump again which has got progressively worse and by the end of the day i'm ready to put feet up and not move, still experiencing some pain. I have seen another consultant and agreed to wait a further 6 months before any other decisions are made, re another op, having a pessary fitted etc.  I have never heard of the colon being used to support the pelvic floor, however when i recently asked about mesh (i have a friend who had this mesh fitted many years ago and she has been fortunate with no probs) i was told it's not being used in the UK at the moment because some women have experienced terrible pelvic pain and other pain and it has been known to corrose into the bladder etc.  There is alot of info out there and i only came across this site post operatively.  It's your body so my advice is to ask lots of questions and as i said read as much as you can.  Not wishing to scare you but it can be a very long and painful recovery with many ups and downs.  It is major surgery.  Good luck in whatever decision you make. 
  • Posted

Hi sonador I had bladder and bowel pelvic floor surgery 5 weeks ago done vaginally. Recovery has been slow and at first very painful. I had a hysterectomy and bladder repair 10 years ago, a bowel resection due to Crohn's disease 5 years ago and know about post op pain. I felt like someone had been ramming a baseball bat into my rectum( not that I have ever experienced that I might add). Couldnt really sit down properly for about a week. Felt much better once I had s bowel movement on day 3 and the pain began to subside (only time I have been glad to have crohns !) don't mean this to scare you but better to know before I think. I would be asking consultant why he thinks all this other stuff is necessary ( have you a prolapsed uterus causing the reactively ) and why touch the colon ? Armed with all the details you can make an informed decision. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi,

I think you need to ask more questions to your consultant. You need to ask the risks involved and what alternatives surgeries are out there to treat your conditions. It is really important you know everything of any surgery. It does come down  to the patient in the end on what surgery you choose to have unless of course you are in a life threating condition and surgery is an emergency. Take your time and look at all options out there. Ask about pain relief after surgery as well as these things are often not discussed. Also ask your surgeon how many operations has he/she performed similar to yours. And why he/she thinks what they are suggesting is a better way of doing things and not the alternative operations if any. Goodluck with it all! 

• Posted

Hello Sonador76

I agree with all the ladies on this forum that have answered you. It is best to get more information and maybe even a second opinion from another doctor or consultant. It is not something that can be reversed and you want to make sure you are going into this with your eyes wide open. I will pray will you find the right answers and you find all the information you need before you say yes to surgery.

Blessings to you

Lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.