In peri 8 years coming off AD mirtazapine. HELP

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies

Im very frequent on this site talking about my many peri issues ut I now have a new challenge.

Was put on AD mirtazapine in November for peri anxiety and depression.

I cut down by half the dose to 15mg but now im taking one every other day reccommended by my GP.

Im also due a period so my anxiety is high anyway right now.

Any ladies successfully come off AD?

Would love some advice as feeling low today xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi michelle sorry you are feeling low today i started my period today so anxiety ok i don'ttake tablets i do go to a counselor she has help me alot do not get as anxious as be for i went to see her You need to fine some one you conncet with have been 4 times now she give me things to do like keep a log and when i get anxious right it down what made me feel that way and how i manage to stop it go dack in 2 weeks and will talk about what i have put down in my log book

and see if it is working for me

take care

paula

• Posted

Hi Michelle.

I was on AD for about 14 years. The doctor would switch them about every 2 to 3 years because they would quit working and I would begin having graphic nightmares and feeling anxious again.

I have come off of them (citalapram) successfully as of March 1st. I believe I am finally through the worst of the peri and on my way to being in menopause. I am going to have bood work to confirm and discuss HRT. Please be sure you wean yourself off as your doc recommend. Now in hindsight I see that I have had about 10 years of peri symptoms and that was the main cause of my depression and anxiety. My hormones must have been all over the place.

If you get off of the AD and still feel depressed and anxious, don't think you are weak if you need to go on them again until your wacky peri symptoms end and if you have been on the same one for years, you might need to change it up a bit. I felt like a failure at first needing meds to function but I decided that they made me a better version of myself! Take care.

Lisa

• Posted

Thank you so much. I too believe its hormones causing the depression and anxiety. You came off them so it defo can be done. Ive been on them seven months. I think the actual fear of coming off is actually worse than coming iff. Im not through peri yet. Periods every two to three months at the moment. Its been a real long hard struggle. As I think one symptom goes I get another onesad(

Just

• Posted

Just hoping it all goes away real soon.

Im determined to come off the tabs and try and deal with it another way xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle ,maybe it is not the right time to stop taking the AD ,s especially if they were helping you ! I have been taking Seroxat for years now for anxiety ,only 20 mg , now 10 mg daily ! I did wean myself off them a few years back ,took a year ,unfortunately within 6 months , I was back on them , don't like being dependent on a medication but I'm now of the school of thought ,why suffer if there is something out there to help ! I know there is still a bit of a taboo about taking medication for mental health issues ( don't know why as half the population seem to be on them) ! ,maybe go back to your GP and tell them that you are now beginning to feel low whilst weaning yourself off ! Sorry if this is not much help to you ,but it is all about sharing experiences ! X
    • Posted

Thankyou for the advice. Im still getting anxiety and palpitations on them so thought it would be a good idea to come off. I didn't see the point of being in them ans still feeling anxious. I know yhe palpitations are peri related as ive had my heart checked and all is fine. Although with this peri health anxiety I dont believe it.

I have been on 15mg from 30mg for about 9 weeks.

Maybe I should wait a little longer

Thanks again x

Im thinking about maybe staying on the 15mg fir a little longer maybe as dealing with these erratic periods and hormonal upheaval all at the same time is a bit overwhelming

• Posted

Just take your time coming off them because if you go cold turkey mor problems can arrise and you do not want that
    • Posted

No your absolutely right. But as im following doctors advice I thought it would be ok. But maybe too much too soon

Thank you xx

• Posted

I understand about your anxieties. I am on Ativan for my anxieties. The only way to come off it is to talk to your doctor so she can slowly taper you off it because if come off it all at once symptoms can develop. 

Just talk to your doctor about coming off it slowly 

• Posted

Hi

Ive weaned off of 30mg to 15mg with the advice of my doctor. He said to now take one every other day.

Im due a period so im sure thats not helping with the anxiety and palpitations.

First day without one so too early to tell I suppose.

I think just the thought of it is making me anxious.

Oh what we have to deal withsad

Im now second guessing myself and thinking I should stay on them a little longer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.