In perimenopause, does anyone else do this?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone else does this or if im just completely insane?! Okay so im still having very scattered periods, i just recently had one after 6 whole months! But anyway, it doesnt matter if its right before my period, during my period or after my period i will feel like i have the stomach flu or like i have a hangover every damn day! I have no energy, i feel tired, dizzy, hot and cold at times but no fevers. My stomach and lower gut roll and gurgle loud enough for others to hear, but when i have bowel movements they are "normal". But the sick feeling just lingers constantly to where i can barely eat, Im skin & bones. I have tried changing my diet around and noticed No difference. But the strange thing is i will get a day where i feel ok and i can eat! But it only lasts one damn day then the hell is back for about 7-10 days, then i get one good day again, then the cycle continues!! Its driving me absolutely mad! My thyroid is fine, my blood sugar is fine....all of this began when my periods became haywire 4 years ago!! How can anyone survive perimenopause and menopause if you feel like this all the time?? I cant function, I havent left my house or shopped for myself in 9 months! And i have done online counseling, she seems to think its hormonal not mental. 😦

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I have been going through peri menopause for several years now for about 11 years to be exact. I went through what you described and it is a horrible thing. I just knew that I was dying of some kind of disease. Thankfully I wasn't working at the time so I didn't have to worry about calling out sick and things like that. My kids were younger then so I stayed home with my infant daughter who was 1 years old at the time. But I remember not being able to eat and losing weight. I remember being very self conscious when I went outside around people because of my appearance. But believe me when I tell you that the pendulum does swing in the opposite direction, it does. Now I'm overweight and need to lose a lot of belly fat and fat in other areas. So try not to worry too much about it because when you least think about it that's when it tends to ease up. It's because of the stress that these hormonal symptoms cause that makes it difficult to eat or sleep or do anything. Take one day at a time and before you know it, you'll be thinking, hey I don't get this symptom anymore, or oh wow that or this is gone. It will get better. Take care.

• Edited

Thank you, i just pray it will. Sometimes i get so scared thinking this will never end and i will die from malnutrition. I am so embarrassed by how i look too, Im afraid everyone will think im anorexic, but im not!! I love food and i miss eating it. I cant wait to get the fat days back!! I would rather be fat than have this crap!

• Posted

You can try to drink meal replacement shakes. See if this helps when you don't have any appetite. At least that way you will get some nutrients in you. That's what I used to do.

• Posted

yep. i went through that and just like sharcerv i have now put on a little too much. belly fat. ugh. but, at least i look somewhat healthy and not sickly. nobody comments on how skinny i am anymore. i'm not crazy about my figure now either though lol. oh well. i always thinking i am dying of something. i just get on here and try to feel better. eventually that symptom disappears and i get a new one....and here I go again. FREAKING OUT...total panic. It stinks so bad. i pray and pray for God to take the anxiety away. ((hugs)) we are in this together sister.

• Posted

I feel the same way about the anxiety, omg i used to be do normal but now i get panicky if i have to go to any appts or go shopping its super crazy! I wish i could take antidepressants to help that part but they make me even more nutty. I just cant get over how horrible hormones can make you feel!

• Posted

Hi - ladies that have been through this - how long did it last? I've been trying to cope with this for over 2 years - but the past year has been awful - daily anxiety and horrible nausea - I have no appetite until the evening when I can just about manage some bread, cheese, pasta to try and make sure I have some energy...currently I'm trying antidepressants but in my 2nd week so no luck yet, just need to feel normal - have 2 little kids and need to keep my job, still having periods but they are light - I'm 42 - just need to know this will pass...

• Posted

Please let me know if your antidepressant ends up helping the nausea! I have posted that question before but i just got a few ladies saying they are glad they took it cause it keeps them sane, but i need to know specifically if it helps the nausea after being on it for longer than 2 months. I tried antidepressants but they ended up adding more side effects and by 2 months into taking them the nausea was still there so i quit them. I have given up all hope, Ive been going through this constant/vomiting hell for 4 years now (3 years before that i lost my appetite so 7-8 years of total hell!) but now its so bad i cant eat! Everything i try to eat even boost drinks and smoothies makes me sick!! Im so afraid im going to wither away and die from malnutrition

• Posted

hi brandy - yes ive been reading your posts and feeling for you, i take hope that ADs will work because i went through a similar spell about 6 years ago, nausea, no appetite, anxiety and i took prozac - didnt think it was doing anything but after about 3/4 months i was better and stayed better for about 3 years until it gradually stopped working and here i am - i dont know if its peri symptoms tbh - my tests are normal but i have have sweats and my periods have changed so im guessing it might be a contributer, so im going to hang in there and keep taking it - xanax also helps me get through and gives me an appetite so i can keep going x

• Posted

i do think there is a connection between hormones and how the brain can handle the changes thats why i was hoping i could take an AD too, its just aggravating if it stops working after awhile. I would like to try xanax for my anxiety but my dr doesnt write scripts for it amd i dont have a shrink close to where i live so i have to suffer through! I hope the meds work for you. This hell needs to give us some break tho!

• Posted

Hi Brandy - there is 100% a connection - seratonin which is the hormone that makes you happy and calm and controls appetite is mostly made in the stomach and then has to transmit to the brain - oestrogen also has an effect on this - I went on hrt for 18 months and after feeling sick awful for the first 6 weeks i experienced the best 6 months of my life - suddenly music and art were open to me - like i'd never experienced before - I thought i was cured - and then my symptoms came back and so i had to come off it and have been searching for a solution ever since...I think there is probably something wrong the way my body transmits hormones to my brain, but AD's alter / switch off that process after a while, until my own system overrides them - but if I can get another couple of good years - then to me it's worth it - the way I look at it is I feel awful anyway, so i can put up with side effects for a few months if it means i can feel good again if only for a little while...how old are you btw ?

• Posted

Hello Karen,

I keep thinking the same thing if i decide to try the antidepressant route again. This sure as hell isnt living is it? It is so unbearable i cant wait to go to bed so can sleep through the bad feeling of being in my body then i wake up and do the whole routine over again. And it sucks cause i love summer but i didnt get to enjoy mine. I most certainly think there is a problem with the way some ladies brains handle hormones changes, thats why some ladies must sail right through with no trouble.....i would give anything for my brain to function that way. Im 41 btw, my perimenopause really began to become intense when i was 37

• Posted

oh you put it so well, i love just getting into bed with my kids and lately ive been so tried i just drop off...only to wake up a couple of hours later with the anxiety and nausea pumping around my body, but we have to be strong - its good to know someone going through the same- you have to eat and stay strong, take vitamins and try and go for walks, also you can order xanax online, thats what i do because im in the uk and its never prescribed over here, and it helps a little x

• Posted

I hear you about the waking up with nausea and anxiety....where the hell does it come from when we are sound asleep supposed to be at our most rested! It bites the big one thats for sure. Im in US and unfortunately i have to get a script we cant order online without one. Here i am today sick all day again praying that maybe it will let up in a few hours so i can eat. I do go for walks but then i worry i will lose more weight its such a horrible thing. I do take vitamins to get something in me, but i still feel awful... i want food!

• Posted

I could have wrote everything you said. I.m 41 also and started in late 30s. never the bottom fell out 1st 40.

• Posted

I feel for you! It just feels so unfair that we go through years of periods, pregnancies and now we have to suffer with this...its brutal 😦

• Posted

hey brandy - how are you today, i actually had a couple of ok days - managed to eat a whole pizza on saturday and fries and didn't feel sick and was kind of relaxed, and yesterday was ok, managed to eat in the afternoon and evening - but today bam! absolutely awful - not managed to eat at all,headache, huge anxiety and low mood, still nauseous and its now evening when it tends to ease off -urrgh ! just want to go to bed, when will this end???

• Posted

Hello Karen,

Im not well at all myself. Over the last couple of days i havent had any appetite but i forced some food in, yesterday evening the nausea hit amd then 2 hours later i had a hot flash then i kept feeling like i was going to faint! I was so scared, when i would get up to walk around my legs felt odd like they didnt want to move, i couldnt wait to go to bed, but then i wake up this morning so sick i couldnt stand it. Its now afternoon here and ive managed to eat a tad of peanut butter and im trying to drink a vitamin drink. Im glad you got to eat!! Omg i would love to manage a good food day again, thats all i live for is those ocassional good days. Are you still taking the AD?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.