In serious agony PLEASE help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am in agony with swollen joints, knees, back, neck and shoulder. I have an underactive thyroid and on 0.75 levothyroxine. Anybody in the same situation experiencing these pains? How did you manage the pain. Is it caused by wrong diet.. if so what do I need to avoid.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi MMT, 

I would highly reccomend looking into seeing a naturopath if its to expensive then even looking into Dr david Brownsteins iodine protocol.

Alot of people with Hypothyroidism have iodine deficiency which can still exacerbate problems even if your taking thyroid hormone.

Im struggling with hyperthyroidism so unfortunatley my symptoms arent similar but i do wish you the best of luck on your health journey

• Posted

Hi Mikal, I’ve read some of Brownstein’s stuff- great read! Haven’t tried his iodine protocol. Did you find you had any reactions at all to the iodine?

I’ve tried iodine in various forms, tried increasing slowly... and basically found I’m intolerant. I tried several different ones and finally gave up, opting for natural table salt instead- Himalayan or sea salt. Apparently thyroid patients frequently have reactions to iodine supplements. It’s also difficult to verify that the supplements don’t contain radiation.

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

At first I did have some slight reactions to iodine, but when I started taking selenium at the same time things got better. Tbh I was never a really big believer in natural medicine and stuff myself and I know they can be a little expensive but naturopaths can seriously make a hell of difference to peoples lives. I can guarantee that they can get to the bottom of your health worry way before a doctor could. Are you suffering from Hashimotos hypothyroidism or just hypothyroidism in general?

• Posted

Hi Mikal, yes, Hashimoto’s. A large cyst.

Interesting about the selenium making a difference with the iodine.

And yup, the holistic stuff is way more helpful. 

• Posted

Hi MMT. Your situation is not unusual. Try Paleo glutenfree style diet. Absolutely no cheating or cross contamination on the gluten.

Read the posts in the levothyroxin group. In particular, see the post titled, “Unacceptable side effects of levothyroxin”. 

Also read the insert that comes with your medication or look on the manufacturer’s website for well established side effects.

Levothyroxin side effects increase with increased dosage. Many people find they are unable to tolerate this medication.

The key for you is to sort out which symptoms are side effects of the medication and which are caused by hypothyroid disease. 

There are other options for medications that have fewer side effects.

• Posted

Did these symptoms start when you began thyroid medication? They are not typical. Most people tolerate thyroid meds very well, so do not immediately conclude that they are the problem, nor indeed the hypothyroidism itself. It could be something else entirely. What does your doctor have to say?
    • Posted

Dear Dave

Yes these problems started when I started taking levo, the tablets were making me unwell then I went to see the doctor and was told he has never come across that.... that all.  Palpitations are scary sometimes I think I will stroke and now I have a heavy chest. I also scares to stop the levo... confused really

• Posted

Hi MMT,

What  you’re experiencing is all typical. If you read through the posts here, you find Thyroid patients go from difficulties getting a diagnosis to difficulties getting medication, difficulties dosing, horrible side effects from synthetic meds...

You’ll need to shop around for a doctor who’s willing to listen to you and work with you to help you get well. 

If you’re having this many side effects at the start, it’s unlikely symptoms decrease enough with time to make this medication a viable option for you. Remember, it’s also likely you’ll be increasing the dose, which increases side effects.

Rheumatoid arthritis is a well documented side effect of levothyroxin and is listed in the manufacturer’s list of side effects. The heart palpitations can also be a typical side effect, as can anxiety. Levo is known cause a variety of autoimmune diseases. Not just rheumatoid arthritis, but the dreaded fibromyalgia and others.

If your doc says he’s never heard of side effects from Levo, get another doctor and change to NDT (natural dedicated thyroid) before you become irreversibly I’ll. 

Take a look at the manufacturer’s Website. Synthroid is the brand name. You can look up side effects there.

• Posted

On further consideration, have you talked to you doctor about rheumatoid arthritis?
  • Posted

Experienced and on the very same dosage.  This site and class action sites are full of people  with with this very symptom. I wondered if I was coming down with arthritis and or something neurological. It was scary. I have alternated  ice and heat, heating pad, ASA. I didn't find any of the OTC  stuff more helpful, but had more side effects. I finally found Bigeloil spray, it is a linment that gives me some relief. I have been off the Levthyroxine 6 months now and the constant agony generally is much reduced , but I still have it in my neck and shoulders and try to use mostly heat and cold and the Bigeloil. I think massage therapy would help give some relief, but I can't afford. That was my experience and what has helped me. Constant pain is tiring both physically and mentally.

• Posted

For pain, borax and turmeric. No pepper with the turmeric.

Cathy, please PM me with the web link. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.