In the 1800s and early 1900s Men had BPH though they did treat it, but how?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Even around the ww1 and ww2 men had BPH but they must have treated it successfully. Many died of old age. Winston Churchill how did he treat it? It just makes you wonder with all the medications and treatments now days. Many men lived to a ripe old age with a prostate enlargement problems. And in Third World countries or other countries like China it's treated differently then in the west. Just makes you wonder?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Did you ever see "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins? Sometimes men just suffered.

Jim

• Posted

Many men died from AUR due to ruptures/sepsis and other complications. There is a classic scene in the HBO series Deadwood, where the main character has his prostate massaged by a prostitute. 

• Posted

Many people still do for pleasure (evidently very popular with Germans) but when I have a DRE it stimulates my vagus nerve and puts me into AF. You can buy prostate massaging rods to do it yourself.
  • Posted

I read couple of articles that say that marijuana or  canabis oil can help relieve the symptoms of B PH or even shrink an enlarged prostate. Has anyone heard anything along those lines?

• Posted

I've not heard that but it does help with so many things. It has become very popular in the UK and a big health food chain has started to stock it and started with a half price offer.. Miriam who posts on the dangers cipro and flouroquinolones  says that it can help with some of their side effects. 

• Posted

Hey John How you doing.  Did some looking this is the only thing I could find Saw Palmetto Berry was used as early 1800's For BPH and also around the same time men use to carry Hollow Bamboo Sticks when they could not pee.  Can you emagine the infections.  Ken 

• Posted

Victorian gentlemen in England used to wrap their rubber catheters round the inside their top hats. Some lived for a few months before a life ending infection.
  • Posted

I have seen various views expressed by others. Some Natural Supplements are still being suggested on you-tube. However one has to be very cautious/ selective to try any of these supplements. One likes to know the experience of some one who benefited from any of these before using it himself. Some one on this Forum had expressed good results from Quercetin+Bromelain & flower pollen but he could not clarify about its possible side effects on kidneys, urine retention etc. 

• Posted

The Romans and Ancient Egyptians as well as doing prostate surgery did dental implants and brain surgery.

I went round a surgical museum where they had catheters and instruments used in the 17th. century. It may have worked but how many survived the later infections?

It turned out that the curator like me was an early UK GL success story. 

• Posted

estrogen  in men to much cause of enlarged prostate testosterone to low increase testosterone or reduce estrogen by tabs lol to much estrogen will make you a janet not a johnny lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.