Incision sensitivity forever?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I am a couple of weeks from reaching 9 months post op for TKR and things are going well or as expected by surgeon.

Before surgery my arthritic pain prevented kneeling (i love yoga) and I've been super stoked to be able to kneel again. But i still can't at this point without pain.

The pain however is stemming from my incision. It feels like I'm kneeling on broken glass. I'm guessing it's due to scar tissue? I was told early on to massage the scar to break up scar tissue, which i still do.

I am wondering if others experience this and if it changes at a certain point?

Thanks!

Bec

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. When I had to Be opened with an incision that's about 7 inches long the tingle and burning symptom never went away. That's been over 20 years ago. I have noticed when I got a cortisone shot in that area a few months ago that it numbed out some of it.

• Posted

Are you using knee pads and still getting pain? My incision is a bit prickly feeling if I press hard on it but fine for kneeling on for short periods of time.

Maybe just apply some pain relief gel or take a pain relief pill before hand? I love yoga too and do kneel but only when weight on both knees to reduce the load. I would have thought it was more like nerve endings, but I am no way a medical professional! I would have thoughtvit would improve with time. I am five and a half months post op.

• Posted

I have a thicker mat and tried pads. It's when pressure is applied whether manipulating with massage or actual kneeling.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Posted

I am 2 years out on my TKR and I was told not to kneel. I too loved yoga but as I said couldn't imagine kneeling on it again. 😳 Am I the only one told this?

• Posted

It seems different surgeons have different views. I guess if someone had to do a lot of kneeling for their work it may not be good. But knee pads and just kneeling on all fours are quite comfortable. Maybe it is the kneeling where your backside touches your knees which is not recommended by some?
    • Posted

Same with me. I can't kneel at all or even squat. I went to get a massage done and they did pressure points on my knee or it was a deep tissue massage and WOW did it hurt but felt good as well. It always feels better when someone else rubs your knee.

• Posted

I was told by my surgeon some people are physically able to kneel post op and some are not. But he never said do not kneel. Interesting.
    • Posted

Me neither. I cannot squat (found out the hard way when nature called while hiking). I have good bend in the knee but kneeling and squatting. Not happening currently.

Good idea with the massage. It's been a while so I'll get myself one. She works on the scar tissue.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Posted

Practise doing very little mini squats....really more like standing knee bends! Keep working at it. The muscles do take a long time to get strong again. Doing exercises in water has been my key helper I think. I am comingmuonto six months post op. Do two sessions of self directed exercises in water each week along with a swim. Still aware that muscles are being stretched and worked and strengthened.
  • Posted

I too love yoga and before TKR I have participated at the level my aches and pains allowed. While I had hoped to participate fully after recovery I will attend classes and do the poses I can fully and adapt the ones that cause pain and discomfort. Speak with your instructor about adapting those poses that cause discomfort and keep on doing it. Hopefully with time you will adapt less and do moreĀ 
    • Posted

I agree. The years prior to surgery were tweaked to accommodate various pain issue and as knee became worse and worse. I'm meeting with instructor before class. This Wednesday. Wish me luck.

• Posted

I'm 16 months out from TKR. Loved yoga prior to knee problems but since op can't kneel and surgeon told me not to, I do other forms of exercises now but miss my yoga 😢

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm not sure if i replied to everyone. So hopefully you can see this. I'm determined to get back at it.

• Posted

Im 9month bilateral pkr. Can kneel. Feels better w pillow or thick pad/carpet. Nerves have been growing back so sensation is changing. Tightness from scar tissue was first and i broke that up-aaarrgh but worth it. Pins n needles happened

After that but gone. General aches come and go now. I havent timed how long i can kneel because i just dont unless i have to and of course every morning thanking God for watching out over me wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.