Increase from 20 to 30mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello ive been taking 20mg for 4 months for depression. After a couple of months I did start to feel better. Then life got very hard and I now feel just like I did before I started taking the tablets, like I might as well not be taking anything. I waited a few weeks but this weekend I upped my dose to 30. Im going to see my dr next week and tell him. How long can I expect to wait to feel an improvement? Will it be 2 months again like I had to wait initially? Also, last time I took citalopram 40mg was the dose on which I felt better. Do you think I will need to increase to 40 again or can how much u need change? Hope that makes sense! I know these are questions I could ask my dr but I don't feel confident the drs know anything about them.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What I find with my doctor (can vary between 2 other doctors but got one main one) is if I suggest something then he will talk about it, not much good otherwise really. It is hit and miss with Doctors I think. 

on a side note: With me I spent years on tablets that didnt do much, gave them up and not much difference. Then went years with issues before I seen a Doctor who said try these, and life was different weeks later, crazy.

Not sure what your doctor is like but I would go and have a chat with him and ask lots of questions. I wouldnt increase without a doctors approval as maybe dangerous depending on your case.

I find when i have increased between 10 to 20 to feel the effects within a few days. I also ignore any downer weeks or if I got a bad cold etc. and wait for my head to come back. 

> I might as well not be taking anything

you can get used to them and not realise how much they are helping you

• Posted

Thank you dean for your reply. I am seeing dr today. I wouldn't normally just increase on my own but I've not had chance to get to a dr and got so fed up of feeling bad. I gave it about 4 weeks before I increased, I literally feel like I did before I started taking the pills. Maybe when life gets really stressful no pills are going to make you feel better?

• Posted

Give the meds months not weeks...these meds are very slow working....and just because you increase doesn't mean your going to get better...it took me six months to feel better...baby steps ...still recovering and I'm on ten milligrams..20 was too much...go.are clueless.about these meds...thank God for my phychiatrist and and reading katecogs comments,..I preservere and feel a whole lot better...take care

• Posted

Well I gave them 4 months really. Like I said I felt better initially but then a month ago felt worse again. I was going to wait a bit longer but am fed up of feeling crap. Plus I know I felt better on 40mg last time I took them
  • Posted

Yeh we all have stressful times but it can get out of hand (its hard to explain as its a 'level' thing) if your too down already if that make sense. I think the doc can ask a load of questions to assess and sort of see if you need an increase etc. then give meds a chance to work

• Posted

I know what u mean. I went to docs today and he said he would have agreed to the increase if I had come to see him. He said it can take 2 weeks on new dose to see an improvement

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.