increase in dose 20mg to 40mg, advice on side effects and length it takes to work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was asked by GP to increase my dose of Cit from 20 to 40 due to increase in anxiety and depression, i feel like i have hit an all time low! I began this dose in 13th January, and i am feeling worse!! I just want to know if this gets any better, i feel incredibly sad and lost!😢

1 like, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

I think the best idea might be to pop back to doctor and discuss it. I felt the same back in September when my dose was increased to 40mg. Physically I felt like I had the flu. It lasted for a few days. It did pass but left me feeling like a zombie. I actually feel better now and I have been totally drug free for 10 days.

Will send virtual hug. Hope you also have people close you can talk to and even get a real hug from. X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply. I feel exactly like that, ache everywhere, biting my jaw together, i am finding that i am zombiefied and really have to push myself to do everyday things, i will see GP and talk it through xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sam

whatever dose you're on you will get ups and downs as you recover.  It's not all plain sailing sadly.  Most people start medication, start feeling good, then slip back down again.  This is when people get their dose upped, go through side effects again, feel good then get back to this same brick wall again.  Ups and downs are very common and when you're having a down (or setback) try and remind yourself that it'll pass in time and you'll feel good again.  This pattern will repeat itself until the setbacks get less and less and disappear.

this illness is very tough to deal with, but keep moving through these setbacks and you'll find yourself in calmer waters.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes it's good to talk about it isn't it - this site is really good as everyone is very supportive and understands.

Sharing it with your family is good too. They'll be able to support you throughout it all.  It's best to be open with it :-)  It's surprising how common this illness is ...... you're not alone.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is tough for our loved ones, but I always say 'if they're sick of it, just think how you must feel'.  It's so much worse you you.  You can describe this illness in detail, but the actual reality of it is far, far beyond what anyone could imagine.  We hate being like this and would give anything to just step out of it, but we can't.  It takes time, patience and perseverance.

Mine started in 1979 when people just didn't discuss this illness.  I was so scared, so alone and didn't tell anyone .... only my then partner.  There was no internet, no brilliant sites like this to share problems with, and I thought I was the only one to be like this.  SSRI's weren't commonplace and the anti depressants I was taking didn't really do much, so I struggled on for years.

Only when I was eventually put onto SSRI's did I recover.  I couldn't believe it!  I've stayed well ever since :-)

Its a long road to recovery, but you'll get there.  You all will :-)

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

you will get better its natural to feel worse before you get better it takes a good 6 weeks to feel the full effect from your medication i had side effects from this and i was only on  10mg i suffered from insomnia where i couldnt sleep properly fekt detached from everyone around me and also having headaches to and i also felt a bit sick the first week while i was on them but that cleared straight away just suffering from little headaches now but its gettin better everyday give it time there is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get better and this kind of meds is not for everyone see how you get on when they up your dose and if you have no joy you may need to try something else 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Shelby i appreciate your reply, i will persevere and hopefully it will start working soon. I have done really well on 20mg for 5 years, but had a meltdown and they put it up, so if 20mg worked 40 mg should too, giving it time is the answer!xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Still getting into your system, don't feel down.

I started three weeks on 10mg, now nearing 3 weeks on 20mg, so a lot of re-adjustment going on. 

It takes a long time for Citalopram or any SSRI to get into the system and stabilise. If you're new to it it's frightening and can be extremely disheartening when you feel like you're going backwards. 

It does pass, just don't set a time limit on it. We're all different and each person recovers in their own time. We do recover though, that's the important thing. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up