increase in mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

mirtazi am looking for some reassurance from people who have had success with mirtazapine..... I took 15 mg for 3 weeks then increased to 30 mg which I have taken for 16 nights. I am yet to feel any better. The last few nights it hasnt knocked me about as much as it did to start with, yet my anxiety and depression are still bad...infact im not sure whether starting it made everything more pronounced......I just need some reassurance that this is still early days and quite normal what im experiencing. ive been told by a cpn that really it could take up to 6-8 weeks for any noticeable changes from when I started on the therapeutic dose.

Ive tried all the ssri and cannot tolerate them at all so this really does need to work for me however after reading all of the posts on here im getting disheartened

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mirtazapine worked well for me, but I took it in combination with venlafaxine (which is a SNRI rather than an SSRI). All the antidepressants I've ever been on have taken 4-6 weeks to kick in, so i think your CPN is correct. Stick with it if you can!
  • Posted

Hi Alison,

I hope you start to see some improvement soon - it is still early days. I waited 7 weeks on 30mg before I decided it wasn't for me. Unfortunately it didn't work very well for me so I'm currently coming off it. I just wanted to say that I too had no luck with SSRIs and what worked really well for me until recently was amitriptyline. Have you tried that before? It really helped me with sleep, anxiety and depression. It is one of older tricyclic ADs but it is just as effective as the SSRIs.

• Posted

I'm afraid that mirtazapine is one of the faster acting ADs. I felt an improvement within days. You have been on it for more than 4 weeks and I suspect that you would have felt the benefit by now if it is going to work for you. I would probably be inclined to come off it now because it is a difficult one to withdraw from if you are on it for a longer time. You maybe could try one of the old fashioned, but still effective tri cyclics such as lofepramin. Good luck!
  • Posted

Im almost certain it would take weeks for me to see massive improvement.... I have been in a bad way for quite a long time. I have only been on a therapeutic dose for 16 days now, I still have side effects too so im thinking I need to give it more time. Ive also heard that recovery is a gradual thing. That others will notice improvement before I do and to be fair I am actually leaving the house now where as before I couldnt step out the door before. Its not easy but im trying to work with it the best I can...... Thanks to anyone that has reassurred me.
  • Posted

Hi Alison,

I agree with Evergreen, that mirt acts swiftly. My dose was increased from 30 to 40mgs a couple of months ago and I felt the difference within 4 days. My experience with ADs is they help for a period until I'm ready to work on the root cause of a depressive period. Please note 'my opinion ' only. Probably got nothing to do with fact. Currently, I have halved my dose to 22.5mgs (simply by cutting them in 2). I got fed up of zero motivation and energy and thought that I was being sedated by the mirt. Again, I felt the difference within a number of days. I do feel more energised and am getting out and about. On 45mgs I was just sitting all day in a chair - not a good way to live. I hope that you will soon find relief from your symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.