Increase of Citalopram dose. Been there before and dreading it.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. So, i have been on cit for about 3-4 years now and i have had my dose increased twice. The first time i felt slightly more on edge but it wasnt too bad. The second time (increase to 40mg) i felt awful but i didnt know it was due to the increased dose. I thought i was going through a bad spell. Anyway, i was prescribed the 40mg in May and took them for about 2 weeks. It ruined my holiday as i was so anxious and weepy. Didnt know why.  i thought it must just be the higher dose not being suitable for me so went back down to 30mg.

I want to increase to 40mg now that i know that increasing doses can increase anxiety in the short term before getting better. But i am absolutely dreading it. Last time it made me feel so anxious and upset all the time and id sit at my desk constantly needing the toilet (n.o2). Its so embarrassing as the toilet in our office is right next to our receptionist. Im dreading this happennening again now im upping my dose. I can feel it starting already and i have only had 2 tablets. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this increased anxiety as i am definitly going to ride it out as i want to feel better. But i cant keep going to the toilet and crying all the time sad ..... Do i just ride it out or is there anything that can help with these horrible side effects?

Thanks all.. smile xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am on fluoexatine and recently increased to 40 mg. I felt awful for about three weeks and now over the last week have felt slowly better. I was at my wits end with anxiety and side effects. I just rode it out but I am off my work. I am Glad I did now.

But was so scared to take the 40 mg so I know how you feel. I hope it works out for you

Linda x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Linda. Good to hear you got through it and now feeling bit better. Since i upped my dose in may (not having any idea that it would increase my anxiety) i havent been right at all... The last time i felt happy was a couple of weeks before my holiday on 19th may when i upped my dose. i thought i just wasnt compatible with the higher dose untili joined this group and a lot of people say about how they get worse before better. But i really need to sort it now so am sticking with it but dreading the toilet trips more than anything rolleyes ... what side effects did you suffer from 40mg? And do you think becasue we are so scared about taking them, that a lot of it will be in our head too? haha..x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

i had had sore stiff neck and headaches the runs also but they are much better now.

i think your right our minds play tricks on us and it makes us even more anxious.

stick with it I know that's easy to say but I nearly went back down to 20mg because I felt so anxious. Good luck and message me if you need any support

Lindax

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Can't you take a smaller dose over a few days to increase slowly, that's what I'm doing but I'm at the beginning of my journey and feel so terrible on a daily basis and am not sleeping! I'm praying for a light at the end of the tunnel and quick! 

Good luck x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah thats what i have been doing hun. Ive been taking 2 tabs every 3 days and now everyday. today feels better but we will soon see.... Good luck to you too hun. We will get there..x xx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up