Increase to 40mg??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. Just looking for some advice or experience with increasing dose.

I've been slowly increasing my dose up to 20mg over a 10 week period, I have now been on 20mg for 3 weeks. I've been up and down etc and much worse at my period due to my crazy hormones, after my period I had a pretty good week followed by some average/bad days. I saw my psychiatrist today and she wants me to go up to 40mg, I can do it slowly if I like.

I really just wanted to be on 20mg if I could. But I guess if I need more I need more.

If possible could you share your experience of going from 20mg to 40mg. Or also if you stayed on 20mg and things got better over time??

Thank you!! Feeling a bit confused x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have been on 10 mg for 4 days, so I'm a newbie with this med. I read that a lot of people are on 20 mg, but I don't even want to increase to that amount. My anxiety has stopped with 10 mg and I have stopped binge eating too. For my mild depression, well, I haven't cried in a few days or cried at the drop of a hat, but I guess 4 days isn't a lot to go on. LOL! I would do what YOU feel best doing. I aleady told my doc that if 10 mg is working, he needs to agree to not raise my dosage 'just because.' He agreed. Only time will tell. Follow how YOU feel. X0

• Posted

Hi..

I increased dose about 6 weeks ago. I did 10 days of 30mg and then up to 40mg. I did get a mild headache and nausea for a day or two but it was nowhere near as bad as when starting out. I felt really anxious for one day as well when I went up to 40mg about the 3rd week into it but then the next day and ever since then have felt great!

• Posted

P.S I would never just jump straight from 20 to 40. I felt great on 30mg but decided cutting tablets in half was annoying and told my doc to throw me up to 40mg. The 20mg was doing nothing for me.. the 30mg was way better but I figured the 30mg might just have me hovering in the better area and I would rather have a bit more juice in me then to suddenly crash again.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply. How long were you on 20mgs for? Awesome you are doing great now
    • Posted

Also you obviously noticed the positive effects prettty quickly on 30? If you were only on 10 days? X
    • Posted

I only had very minimal side effects when I went from 20 to 30.. a dull headache for a day.. slight nausea.. nothing worse then when first starting out.

I was on 20mg for just over 7 weeks or so before increasing and knew I needed to go up in dose. I was not feeling even a little bit better from when I first started. I knew the time line but also knew that I needed some more juice to push me to where I am now. My doctor said that 20mg might be enough for some people to start off with then they may need to increase later if it starts pooping out a bit.

• Posted

Hi Pip...I have read on here countless times that you should stay on your current dose for a good 10-12 weeks before you decide if it's right for you. You're likely still dealing with icky side effects from the increase and it's hard to know how you're really feeling. i would say to listen to your doctor but also do what makes you feel comfortable. It won't hurt anything if you wait a while before increasing. Good luck to you. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.