Increased Anxiety after finishing CBT.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys and girls,

So I finished my 6th session of CBT almost 2 weeks ago. Initially I felt so much better, virtually anxiety free with hardly any panic attacks/ symptoms. However over the last 4-7 days I feel like my anxiety has increased a little. I'm still doing everything I was taught from CBT.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I thought maybe subconsciously I thought CBT was a safety behaviour and now I haven't got it, my anxiety has increased?

Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

Report / Delete

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That was quick so few sessions but okay. Part of this is understanding you are also breaking a bad habit of a consistent worry wart attitude. Anytime we break a bad habit it feels uncomfortable. Even stop biting your nails. You can learn all the tricks but when you stop biting them youll feel off and ansy  a while until you readjust your new way of thinking and behaving. Keep practicing it and going over it over and. Over again it has to replace your old ways and this takes repetition and time. Your body will keeo trying to remind you of it old ways thats how you programmed it up until now. Ignore the old ways now they will need to succomb to the better ways. And they will be patient,
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I agree it is a determined consistent battle until it all becomes natural.

I haven't been through CBT yet but have done research and have been using so many techniques dozens if times a day.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

People donnot realize you are breaking a long time old habit and replacing it with new ways. The body doesnt like that and will attempt to fight it, the goal is to keep doing the cbt and retrain the bodys reaction. It takes time. Like any bad habit to be broken it takes time and of course its going to feel uncomfortable but the long term results are well worth a few months of the battle. Many do cbt for 20 sessions or even more which guides the person a bit better then six weeks. But in the end its all the same.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you also on medication? Do you have any followup CBT or group meetings?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It has more to do with breaking a bad habit and your body is being difficult about it. If you stopped biting your nails you would feel ansy too, but after time and consistency you will have broken the habit and retrained yourself. Same with anxiety. You have had a few sessions and you need to keep it up and practice it, live it, breathe it, imagine it all of it. Your body will remind you what you have programmed it. How to be anxious it takes time to retrain and break this habit so be patient. Any habit you ever break will make you feel off for a bit, doesnt mean you should throw in towel and go backwards. Theres more then just learning it, there is oracticing it and living it.it needs to become a behavior.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you for all of your replies. It definitely makes sense regarding the breaking habits. Like you say, it's an old habit that is being broken and it makes perfect sense that it's going to take time! To answer your questions, I'm not on any medication, never have been. I had CBT through the NHS and 6 sessions is standard and it was done over an 8 week course.

My scores went right down to 1 which is amazing really and I'm really pleased with it. I've had CBT before and it was a lot harder this time so perhaps why I'm feeling it a little more now!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

And thank you for your suggestions regarding walks etc! smile
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good luck Diane, you'll be absolutely fine! I don't know if it's your first session? If it is, just take on board everything they say even if it feels irrelevant or patronising (sometimes it can!) Also do all of the exercises they teach you, if any, it may seem weird at the time but will help in the long run. How many sessions do you have?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The more you are aware of how you think and how it feels the more it becomes concious. Once you are truly aware you can correct it. The automatic response in a negative way will be interuptted. It will eventually calm those nuerotransmitters that provoke fight or flight. That too scary enough can become a habit.   Do that enough it retrains old bad habits. It takes a lot of time and a lot of effort. Its okay to do cbt every few years as well. As a refresher course to the mind. Learning is how the change all begins. Attending the course would be completely useless if you arent willing to make the changes. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up