Increased Anxiety and Irritability

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've always had increased anxiety/health anxiety. My mom has it very badly as well. In the past, the doctor had put me on citalopram hydrobromide (celexa) but after about 2 years of being on it, they wouldn't refill it anymore. I'm not sure why but that doctor doesn't work at the office anymore. So I just weaned myself off of it about 3 years ago and I have felt fine up until about 6 months ago. Last night was the scariest moment of my life. I was playing a video game (something I do to unwind after a long day of work) and all of a sudden my throat felt like it was closing up. My heart rate increased to 138bpm (never been that high) and I had pins and needles all over my body. I started shaking uncontrollably and my hearing was echoing.  I immediately got up and got me a glass of water because I felt like I was going to pass out. It felt like someone was sitting on top of my chest and it was very hard to breathe. I had the feeling that I was going to die. So I called my best friend (who happens to be a nurse) and she told me that it was just a panic attack. I just don't know why I had one. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary and I'm just as stressed as I always am. I'm a 29 year old female, in pretty good health, I don't smoke or drink. I just have really high anxiety. My work life is okay, however it's been extremely slow and me being a manager, it stresses me out because of the break in action up here. If anyone has any pointers or ideas on how to lower my anxiety, I would greatly appreciate it. I've never posted on forums for answers to this. I don't want to experience that ever again. I have no health insurance so it's not easy for me to go to a doctor to talk to them about it. But I might just have to suck it up and go. I've been a worrier/stresser since I was in highschool. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Theres no escape on the forever part. They are scary. I had one yesterday myself, been so long. Hate them. I saw sound echoeing actually found solace in that to see thats anxiety. It will pass. It could have been triggered from your senses or some thing from the video game. Panic attacks getvtriggered from sight and sound a lot aside from thoughts. If you got thru this before, and you did, you will walk thru it again and faster. You are rememebering the past it messes everything uo when you start doing that. But also rememeber it went away and it will again. I have no real advice other then saying its happened to me too and it has passed, came back and passes again. Im waiting for it pass right now too. You are a lot stronger and wiser then you realize you have walked thru this before and you will again. Worst thing ever is to sit there and rememeber "what it felt like" dont do that. Its sabotage.  Keep as busy as you can and tell yourself its okay and passing thru. 

• Posted

Thank you Lisa for your response. It definitely is the scariest thing i've ever been through. Never had one as bad as that one last night. I had no idea that sight and sound can trigger a panic attack. I was stuck inside a building on my game and couldn't figure a way out. So maybe that triggered it. (video games are my escape so maybe I need to play monopoly or mario. Something less stressful) You're absolutely right though. They do happen and they do pass, but when they're happening you feel like it's doomsday. I'm going to try my best to get my mind off of it. I'm completely exhausted today and my body is still sore, probably from the adrenaline shakes. Your response really makes me feel better knowing that i'm not alone in this. Keep your head up as well and know that it will pass.

• Posted

So the pills helped you? It's weird why they would cut u off them if they were helping you. Yah I had an attack in June went to er and they just chalked it up 2 anxiety. I even said bf I went it was prolly just anxiety but never experienced anything like that bf. Amxiety/panic attacks aren't fun the sensation of not being able to breathe isn't fun ither.

Just try to deal with it the best you can!!

• Posted

The pills did help me and I have no idea why they stopped giving me refills on it. LIke I said, he doesn't work there anymore, so there may be more to the story that I'm unaware of. I made an appointment with a different doctor for next Wednesday so hopefully they will be able to help me. I've always had pretty bad anxiety, but last night it was so scary. Thank you Mackie for responding to me. I'm very glad I found this forum. It's so full of information that does in fact give me hope in being able to manage my anxiety.

• Posted

Yes same here!! It's interesting or comforting 2 know that other ppl are having the symptoms that I have and have gone through some of the same tests as me...

Good luck with your situation I hope they can find you some pills 2 get u back on track. My anxiety isn't 2 bad so trying to not take pills just dealing with some headaches and dizziness at times, sometimes unable to catch my breath. I'm dealing with it the best way I can...

• Posted

I wish I didn't have to take pills to feel better. But they really seemed to work last time. I hope your headaches and dizziness get better! It really is nice being able to talk to someone who understands. I'm sure anxiety is pretty common but most people don't understand how severe it can be at times. I'm doing better today but now I'm dealing with the fear over having one as severe as I did last night. But reading other threads in this group is really helping me.

• Posted

They come and go dealing with it the best way I can. Sucks ur having to take pills but I'd there helping you then that's great!! Reading stories of ppl helps out I agree!!!

• Posted

Last time I was on citalopram so hopefully they'll get me on it again. I had an emotional night last night. Crying over nothing. Does that happen usually the day after having a bad panic attack? My poor husband doesnt understand what I'm going through but thankfully he's here to listen to me. I'm keeping you in my thoughts Mackie. Hope everything starts getting better for you!

• Posted

you had a panic attack ashley.  If it happens again try to relax and breath into a paper bag slowly until you feel normal again.
    • Posted

I've never tried the paper bag thing but I probably should keep some on hand for if it happens again. That's a good idea. Thank you Richard!

• Posted

It works, just don't do it with plastic bags or you will suffer badly and suffocate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.