Increased Appetite 3 weeks after Mirtazapine Discontinuation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All.  I was on Mirtazapine for about a month.  I had a bad experience with the drug.  It did help me to sleep for the first couple weeks and my appetite was noticeably improved shortly after taking the drug.  I was losing a lot of weight and was one of the primary reasons I was put on this drug.  Within a few days of taking the drug, I was literally going into the kitchen every 30 minutes to snack on Triscuits, cookies and any other snack available.  I was never like this before taking this drug.  I have since discontinued Mirtazapine as I was experiencing a lot of bad side effects.  It has now been 3-4 weeks off the drug, but I still notice my appetite is on overdrive.  They say it takes some antidepressants (ADs) a couple weeks to be effective as it takes time to upregulate brain receptors.  I'm thinking there is a similar issue when discontinuing a drug, i.e., it may take some time to down regulate the receptors toward normal.  For those that have discontinued Mirtazapine in the past, did you notice continued increased appetite for a period of time?  Did you appetite ever get back to normal?  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi John my appetite didn't really change when I was on them. Stopped taking mirtazapine 3 weeks ago after being on them for just over 3 months. I'm still having withdrawal symptoms but as my husband said if doctors say it takes certain amount of weeks for them to work then it must be the same in reverse when you stop. I really don't know what this drug has done to my brain 

• Posted

Being on this drug has made me not want to eat full stop. I literally have to force myself to eat things. I pick at things rather than have to face full meals. God only knows what it's doing to my head and body but it's not good.

• Posted

You're likely an outlier.  The substantial majority of people taking this drug have iexperienced ncredible appetites and have gained a lot of weight.

• Posted

Not me John never made me sleep either on 15 mg once in 10 months. I know I've got to get off this drug and soon.

• Posted

It’s a nasty drug.  I’m no longer taking it.  I was on it for a month and had bad side effects @ 7.5 mg for insomnia and increased appetite.  FYI - they give this drug to anorexics.  Not sure why you are taking the drug: sleep, depression, appetite.  If you are only having depression then there are better options.  If you’re having sleep issues try some alternatives.  Doxepin could be an option.  Ambient and other “Zdrugs” could be a short term option.  Also benzos for sleep but they can be addicting.  Talk to your doctor about other options.  It may be the case that you need a lower dose of mirtazapine but I doubt it.  Like I said it’s a nasty drug.  Side effects not worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.