Increased Citalopram dosage.

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hello - newbie here.

I was diagnosed with depression and prescribed 10mg of Citalopram at the end of June. This was after struggling with the disease for almost 8yrs. I had reached rock bottom and needed help.

I had a few side effects; shakiness/tremor, indigestion, constant yawning, but these disappared after a couple of weeks. At about 5 weeks C kicked in - I felt great on my review. However, in the last few weeks I have felt myself slipping backward and visited doc today who has increased the dosage to 20mg.

How did you guys feel when going from 10 to 20mg? Was it noticable side effect wise?? Just wondering if I'll have the same side effects again.

I think initially I was so relieved to have finally done something about my depression, that my relief as well as the low dosage made me feel better initially. But the scratchiness, intolerance and catastrophising of everything has started to kick in again.

Hopefully th increase will kick in before too long.

Thanks for reading

:D

3 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I too have been increased from 10 to 20mg and was wondering the same thing.
  • Posted

Well Leesy - I shall be taking my first 20mg tonight - Doc said I may get side effects again - but I guess it is worth it in the long run! I shall post an update.

Hope you get on ok with yours.

• Posted

I started on 20mg and moved up to 30mg without any side effects from the increase. So you might be okay.
  • Posted

I felt a bit anxious yesterday and feeling a bit the same now, hopefully this will just be a short burst and then things will settle again. Fingers crossed!
  • Posted

Thanks Linda

Just proved I needed the increase - cooking kids tea, piece of fish fell out of the freezer onto floor, I screamed and cried.

Horrible to have this feeling back again sad

• Posted

We will get through this, just got to be strong and ride the horrible bits out. I am here if you want to off load.
  • Posted

You should feel a definite benefit if you are moving up to 20mg. If you read the leaflet that comes with Cit you'll see that this is the lowest recommended dose. A lot of people find that 20 or 30mg works best for them. The max daily dose is 60mg.

Keep going and don't give up. You can conquer this.

I am on week 15 and I am able to be the real me again - the anxiety and panic do not rule my life now.

best wishes Linda

• Posted

Linda

How long does it take to then notice the increase? Does it take another four weeks?

• Posted

Thanks - I took the first one and have had some sweats and tiredness - maybe a little nausea/dizziness - but I guess my dose was doubled.

However, I'm sure it isn't really possible, but I'm already feeling a little brighter this morning!!!!

(I am the same Mintcar, just waiting for my account to be activated - can't log on yet!!!!)

• Posted

I noticed the improvement in a few days of the increase.

Hope it is the same for you.

Linda

• Posted

Just got it increased from 20mg to 30 today. hade been taking 20 for 26 days. how long before I feel any difference?

Grace

• Posted

Hi ya I have gone from 20mg to 30 mg this week being my second week but when I get up from sleep I feel dizzy and then sometimes though the day time did you get this and if so how long does it last for until you feel normal x
    • Posted

I'm on my second week fr 20-30 myself, bouts of tiredness, dizzy, racing thoughts.....if i remember correctly it takes a good 5-6 weeks to feel the benefits, it will be 2 weeks thursday and side effects are slowly easing off but def still there ........stay the course smile

• Posted

Hi Tim I think it's more like 10-12 weeks realistically 

• Posted

I’m not quite sure why I’ve been increased? Its my first time on any pills for depression/anxiety. Initially I was put on Prozac.. but after 2 weeks, I went a little crazy!! he put me on 10mg of cit. the side effects have been noticeable and quite frankly terrible!! I almost think being depressed and anxious was better!! for such an active person who worked and was always quite focussed, I found the tiredness and lack of motivation quite upsetting. So why has he upped it to 20mg? And will I suffer further this lethargy for another few weeks? I know you’re not medically trained, but I can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment and am thinking I might just stop altogether!! 
    • Posted

Hi jennifer.. did things improve for you?? I’m not quite sure why I’ve been increased? Its my first time on any pills for depression/anxiety. Initially I was put on Prozac.. but after 2 weeks, I went a little crazy!! he put me on 10mg of cit. the side effects have been noticeable and quite frankly terrible!! I almost think being depressed and anxious was better!! for such an active person who worked and was always quite focussed, I found the tiredness and lack of motivation quite upsetting. So why has he upped it to 20mg? And will I suffer further this lethargy for another few weeks? I know you’re not medically trained, but I can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment and am thinking I might just stop altogether!! 
    • Posted

You need to give it plenty of time, it worked well for me the first time I used it!! It does make you very tired!! How long have you been on 10mgs??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.