Increased dose from 30 to 40mg, side effects?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, 

So I was diagnosed with depression two years ago after a long time suffering,  I was initially on sertraline but I had sleep disturbances, so was switched to Citalopram. 

Two weeks ago I was upped from 30mg to 40mg, since then I have been feeling worse, with shakes, low mood, and hypersomnia. Could this be side effects and what should I do? 

Thanks x 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I am on cit also 20mg only. Yes I have had these side effects myself and by what I've read it is completely normal. If you check the leaflet you get with cit it will have all the side effects listed.

I am in no way a professional, if you are worried then speak to your doctor. Personally I had side effects left it for a few days and some went away and some stayed the ones that stayed I booked an emergency appointment with a doctor or arranged a call back to speak to someone for advice.

It usally takes 3-4weeks for cit to start actually working my doctor and alot of people will tell you, try and stick it out and see if it works out! If there are any side effects that are really bothering you please do go to the doctor and remember to check out the leaflet that came with the cit it should have all the side effects listed! 

Good luck!

• Posted

Yes every time u increase a dose it take time for your body to get used to it, l am also on 40mg started on 10mg, l use to have the same side effects, l would like to tell u that citalprom works like magic it has worked well for me ,good luck
  • Posted

Same for me. Im increasing mine to 40mg now after 30. I have been on 40mg for a while but on and off. side effects can come back with an increased dose as well as when you first start them. Just stick it out and it will get better. The extra side effects i get on 40mg as they sink in are sweats and teeth grinding. I am over the worse now though. And i also feel weepy but this does get better as your body gets used to the higher dose smile ... stick with it.xxxx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up