Increased knee stiffness

Posted , 15 users are following.

Anyone experienced increased stiffness after Knee replacement? Inspite of daily walking and exercising knee seems to feel even stiffer and how long does the pain at night continue? 

0 likes, 27 replies

Report / Delete

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenni how long since you have had it done
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My pain at night lasted about 3 months then it was uncomfortable rather than pain. The stiffness seems to come and go and was worse as it got swollen later in the day - I had a period from 6-12 months with no issues but now (14 mths) I have some stiffness at times and I notice it more because of when its not there and now it is annoying! I too have exercised and did everything I could. Not sure how long since your TKR but for those that have no issues I'd say give it 6 months to settle - for others it can take a year or even more and others sail through in 3 months  - depends on lots of other factors. Keeping it mobile, keeping hydrated and wearing supportive footwear also helps. Walking is good but also weight-bearing maybe try exercise bike (or swimming) - better for mobility and not such a strain. Best wishes. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have experienced stiffness in the knee despite walking & exercise, what you have to remember is that there is a lot of internal healing and this takes months.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its been a 11 months since i had mine done. I still have stiffness weather its from sitting or walking for more then 15 min. Forget the stairs, still have prob with stairs. Stiff or leg is weak that i cant go up. Still have pain that is tolerable. Pain is still better then before the TKR. Still have not slept through the whole nite. Wake up wit stiffness and have to reposition. I also have a prob with the popping. Seems to be getting worse.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Heather

Thanks for your reply and sorry that your still having problems even after all this time! yes the pain is different from before the op but didn't realise it could go on so long

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jenni

You dont say how long since you had your TKR?

I'm 17 weeks now and still have stiffness when I sit for too long, stand for too long or the weather is very damp. Sleeping is not a problem now though.

Maybe your exercising too much or too vigorously. Cut back if you are and go for more gentle exercises and see how you go.

Best wishes

Ann

The Irish One!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ann

Thanks for reply I'm 8 weeks post op never realised this stiffness could go on for so long

Only do gentle exercise but it's the stiffness after walking I can't quite understand as thought walking would loosen things up

Jenni

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had TKR on my right knee Feb 13 and there is still stiffness on waking.

The pain is always there and the physio tells me it can take a year before it completely goes.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Your muscles, ligaments and tendons have been shoved about, all they want to do is rest.  in an ideal world, rest would be wonderful, but we leave busy, hectic lives.  Walking, without the muscles being strengthened, will seize up.  You need to concentrate on building your quad muscles (even if they feel "tight").   They are in shock, even a couple of days after the operation will cause your muscles to atrophy.  Work on those, bend and straighten and build, before walking 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes...I feel stiff on side of knee near the t band...is like burning hard to bend...I do my physical therapy they say it might be scar tissue....and.must move it more...Which I hate because the pain gets worse....did tkr 1/28
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You need to stay upbeat, otherwise you will get caught in a rut.  It is early days for you. Think towards the end of the year before you have really recovered.  Sounds a long time, no, it is not.  There are so many things that need to heal,and on top of that you have to cope with the stiffness ( bend the knee; take baby steps), straightening (you need to tense those quads} + light weight training. cycling as opposed to walking is a great help and a whole lot easier to do. Everything has to do with moderation  and PATIENCE.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up