Increased Prozac for 6 days then went back down...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder. Prozac really saved my life and I've been on it for 3.5 years. A month ago, my generic script changed...cue the anxiety! Reassured by the pharmacist that they're all the same. Wrong...I had some up and down anxiety again. Well it became bad last week so my doc upped me from 40mg to 60mg. I took 6 days of it and I couldn't handle it. The anxiety was thru the ROOF! Shaking, restless, etc. I decided to find my original generic Prozac I was taking and I'm back down to my 40. I've only been at that for 2 days. Things are improved but the anxiety still peaks. Can the 60 still be in my system? Help....I worry endlessly! 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear. You'll have to ride it out. Same happened to me with generic change. There is a difference no matter what they say. Normally when switching or going up or down, small and slow the best. Tapering no more than 5% every 2-4 week's to let your brain get use to it for the future. There is a Facebook group, fluoxetine/Prozac should be illegal that has alot of information and people that have been through the same or similar.

• Posted

It's wild because I've done so well for 3.5 years on it! No issues... now it feels like the start up effects. My anxiety has increased and it scares me..I've had to take some time off work.

• Posted

Yeah I hear you. I've had similar issue's. Originally on Zoloft, Celexa and as of 3 year's ago, fluoxetine. Fluoxetine the most difficult and the most side effects I've ever had. Not a fan and upcoming will taper off for good. Celexa I didn't have near the issue's but was forced to switch. SSRI's are a unique animal/beast on the brain. You'll get there.

• Posted

Thank you. In the midst of it, it seems like you'll never get better. I have planned for 2 weeks off work and I'm praying it improves much before then. My family doctor wants me to see a psychiatrist to help manage the meds more since that's more their speciality. So I'm riding the xanax train to help me thru right now.

• Posted

Be careful and read up on slow tapering with the Xanax also. Same applies with slow tapering and small amounts. Educate yourself on tapering. Ashton manual. Dr's are quick to throw a med at you but in my experience, not educated on the right way to taper.

• Posted

Yes. See a psycharist. They are much more knowledgeable about this. Good for your GP for suggesting it. 
    • Posted

It is so hard to get into a psychiatrist!! I have an appt Wednesday to see their therapist first then he will get me in with the psychiatrist. Frustrating process when you're so overwhelmed by it..

• Posted

Check the PL (Product Licence) stamped on the side of each box.  If identical, then the meds are exactly the same.  I somehow think they'll be different though.

Apparently though the active ingredient is probably the same, the inactive (shell of the meds) often differs which strangely does affect different people.

• Posted

They were all different manufacturers. The one I used for 3+ years was made by PAR. The new one was Aurobindo and then he called me in 20's (to up me to 60) and they were by Pliva.

• Posted

If both companies use exactly the same ingredients then the PL will match, regardless of who made the product.  There was a TV programme on some months ago about this, and concentrated on cold remedies i.e. brand names or generic ones, whereby they carried the same PL number so it was best to buy the cheaper one in this case.

Upping your dose wouldn't really be the answer as the meds don't work that quick anyway plus any increase in meds increases anxiety initially.  Also you've been fine for 3.5 years so why would you suddenly need an increase?

The Pharmacist is the expert in meds, not the psychologist.  Doctors / physicians are the experts in diagnosis.  Mind you, the Pharmacist might not be aware how ingredients affect different people.

My other post is being moderated as I mentioned a book.  I can send this via a private message.

• Posted

I was starting to have break thru anxiety so my doctor just said let's increase it. I really couldn't handle the physical/mental side effects which is why I went back down to 40. Tho now I'm feeling anxious all over again and I think it's because of increasing then decreasing. I have an appt next week with a psychiatrist. 

• Posted

Yes when you increase you get side effects including increased anxiety, and when you decrease you get withdrawal, so you could be getting a mixture.
    • Posted

Oh good times then! Lol!! Have you been thru this yourself katecogs? I've been perfectly fine for 3.5 years and I'm just terrified of these feelings again. The physical "anxiety attacks" are subsiding but I feel like mentally things are still feeling scattered.

• Posted

Yes I went through many years of horrendous anxiety, read a lot about it which helped allay my fears, started on SSRI's and recovered.  I spent many years on meds before coming off.

Being terrified of the anxiety feelings is the key.  Its that what keeps you ill.  You have anxiety which frightens you which then produces more anxiety, keeping you in the loop.  Anxiety produces side effects of weird thoughts, constant thinking, tiredness, aches and pains and a whole of host of other things - which the sufferer can also become afraid of, again producing more anxiety which they're already afraid of.  So that cycle continues - anxiety / fear / anxiety.  Breaking that cycle is the answer.

K x

• Posted

You couldn't have said it any better! There are times in the " throes" of the panic that I'm terrified I'm " going crazy". Which makes me keep worrying something is wrong. I'm hoping these next couple days everything starts to balance out mentally from the up and down.  I have begun counseling last week so I'm hoping with the meds and talk therapy I can finally start to feel some relief again. Like I said, a month ago, I felt great! I really hate anxiety/panic. 😞

• Posted

Yep, I was the same, terrified I was going crazy.  You're not ..... its just the release of adrenaline.

I'll private message you.

K x

• Posted

Anxiety is bad today... when will this get better? I see my therapist tomorrow... I was at my parents all weekend without the kids and felt so calm. Now I'm home, back to my routine, and the old anxious thoughts come back. 😔

• Posted

There will be days like that - some much worse than others.  Ride through the bad ones, relax towards those feelings and try and go 'with the punches'.  Tomorrow may be completely different.  I used to find that my mornings were my worst, but began to find that even though they were dreadful it didn't mean that was an indication for how the rest of my day would pan out, and in fact as I went through recovery even though every morning started bad, the anxiety would ease when it got to the evening.

You probably felt better without the children because relaxation is so helpful.  Children can be stressful which makes anxiety worse, but learning to let the body go as you move around working is helpful.  Being back in the same routine can also bring about anxiety again - its a habit, so a change of scene can make you feel calmer.  

Have another look through the weblink I sent - there's always an explanation to each situation you go through.

Don't forget those anxious thoughts are only a side effect of anxiety.  Once the anxiety has gone you won't get those thoughts - honestly.

K x

• Posted

Your replies help me more than you know....thank you so much my new friend.
    • Posted

Aww thanks Itsme wink  Glad I could help xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.