Increased Prozac for 6 days then went back down...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder. Prozac really saved my life and I've been on it for 3.5 years. A month ago, my generic script changed...cue the anxiety! Reassured by the pharmacist that they're all the same. Wrong...I had some up and down anxiety again. Well it became bad last week so my doc upped me from 40mg to 60mg. I took 6 days of it and I couldn't handle it. The anxiety was thru the ROOF! Shaking, restless, etc. I decided to find my original generic Prozac I was taking and I'm back down to my 40. I've only been at that for 2 days. Things are improved but the anxiety still peaks. Can the 60 still be in my system? Help....I worry endlessly! 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It sounds like you may have had some side effects fillers in the new drug. Even though the main ingredient is the same the rest that makes up the medication is usually not. My sister ended up in hospital from when her generic brand of tablets became un available so they switched her to another generic... it sent her anxiety through the roof... the Doctors and the Phamacists both explained that a lot of people have reactions to the fillers in the tablets so a direct switch is not always a direct switch. I do not do well with anything generic so I stay with the main original brand of Prozac... my thoughts are even though it costs a bit more no matter where I am in the world if I ask for that main original brand then I will always get the same content. I know if I get my script filled for generic at different drug stores that the chances are it will be different generic brands and I just do not want to mess with that stuff. You will settle down again... 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have called my pharmacy and told them that I will ONLY do this one particular generic and that they need to let me know if there's a change so I can call around. They also told me that they can special order it for me so 5 days ahead of time, I call them and they'll have it.  The physical side effects are getting better. It's the mental anxiety that's still bothersome. Tomorrow will be day 4 back at 40mg on my original generic. 

• Posted

Can it be normal to not be ok at a higher dosage and to go back down? Concerned that I had such a bad reaction on the 60 and needed to go back to 40. Tho with all the generic brand changes I'm not sure what to think! 

• Posted

You may find the files and related side effects information helpful in the future in the Prozac (fluoxetine) should be illegal on Facebook helpful. Tell alot of the truth and alot of experienced people that have gone down the SSRI highway.

Best wishes and prayers.

• Posted

I don't want to abandon the Prozac yet. It's been a life saver for 3 plus years...I had a horrible experience coming off Paxil by a doctor who cold turkeyed me after being on it for 10 years. I cannot even fathom switching meds...

• Posted

Stick to what works for you. You know yourself best. You will get there to where you are best. Fine tuning and trial's.

• Posted

Do not stress... it is just because you put some extra medication in your body and the body was not used to it... everything will balance out again. Everytime we do an increase it is often like starting all over again and the side effects come back. 
    • Posted

But I only took the increase for 6 days then went back down to 40. Today was day 6 of back on 40.
    • Posted

You're still going to have the extra amount in your system for a bit yet. Remember the half life is a lot longer for fluoxetine than other SSRI's. Normally the medication will be gone from your system within 32 days. I don't think it'll take that long to get back to normal for you, but it does take a while to completely leave your system. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.