Increased zoloft after 2 and a half months to 100mg, still anxious & depressed

Posted , 3 users are following.

So at around the 2 month mark of being on medication I started university and 50mg seemed to be working really well - I felt myself finally! This lasted about 2 and a half weeks before my old symptoms crept back in so I saw my doc and he suggested I move up to 100mg.

The first week of 100mg was great again, but this past week my anxiety and depression have returned quite severely. I also feel lathargic, heavy headed and my ears seem to be ringing during silence.

I'm just curious to know if anyone has had any experience with moving up in dosage and how succesful you were at doing so?

Uni is getting pretty intence right now and I cant really afford to miss any lectures/group projects but the way things are going is making me quite worried sad.

Any replies would be much appreciated thanks for taking the time to read also!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're feeling like this! It might just be that these tablets are not well suited to you and that another tablet might be worth trying
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Laura!

I had that same thought to be honest. I'm not sure if I can manage the whole trial and error phase again just because of my studies. M

• Posted

(Continued) man the inconsistency of these meds is a real mind f**k - things go well for a couple weeks and I finally start getting things together, then it all comes crashing down sad
    • Posted

Yeah I completely understand! Have you been having different brands of Zoloft because I think that makes a difference too 
    • Posted

I think the one I'm on now is made by Lupin Europe or something. Been on this brand for quite a while now
  • Posted

Did you consider psychotherapy before getting medication? Or are you currently seeing a psychotherapist? You are very young, and have a whole life ahead of you. Medication is a just temporary solution for anxiety and depression. It would be much more beneficial for you if you would get some help, and learn how to get back in touch with yourself, relax yourself and feel safe within yourself.

Often at universities there is free counseling available, and if necessary they can refer you to a psychotherapist.

I'm sorry your start at uni is overshadowed by the problems you have, hopefully you get some appropiate help, so you can start enjoying this new phase in your life.

Wish you good luck, if you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer.

• Posted

Hi Linda thanks for the reply!

I'm due to start some more psychotherapy soon and I had a few sessions earlier this year. Medication was always a last option for me but I honestly tried everything else for months (regular meditation, changed my died to not eat any meat, therapy, read plenty of books, regular exercise etc).

My plan is to use medication temporarily whilst I get to the bottom of all my problems, its just not going as smoothly as I hoped.

Its been a crazy journey this past year I just hope things get better

• Posted

You're welcome rossyarch. Good to read that you are getting profesional support and educating yourself. I understand that you started to use medication, sometimes it's temporarily necessary to get through life.

If I may make some suggestions; definitely eat meat, you need meat proteine, iron and B12 when you are having problems with brain function, just try to limit yourself to poultry, since other kinds of meat can enhance low grade inflammation, which is detrimental for the brain.

Since you seem to have educated yourself I assume you know you need to eat plenty of fatty fish, for the omega 3's and the vit. D. A deficiency in these can cause anxiety and depression.

Something else I can recommend from experience is body oriented therapy. I got treated by a craniosacral therapist (kind of advanced physiotherapist) which helped me tremendously. It's nice to have someone physically supporting you, besides all the hard work you have to do yourself. like meditation etc.

Before that I went to see a yoga breathing therapist, which got me started on my way to recovery really well. She taught me some breathing exercises which i still regularly use, they have shown to be of tremendous value to me; they help me in calming down and return to a relaxed resting state.

Though anxiety and depression can feel like pure psychological phenomena, in the end it's our body which carries our mind around, so we better take care of it the best way we can. Sometimes this means getting actual physical support.

I hope you will find someone who can give some healing attention to your body, and teach you how to breathe naturally, in my experience they are the keys to recovery.

I'm sure you will find a solution, you sound like someone who will, wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to add them to my list! I'm big on keeping my body in good shape I think thats one benefit I can take away from all this depression and anxiety bs. 

Right now though its just a matter of me getting past this phase I'm in - just woke up and nothing has changed. Damn I just want to get on with my day but it doesn't feel possible.

I might pop into a walk in centre at A&E since my gp is closed at the weekend and see if they have any suggestions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.