Increasing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im bck again for yet more reassurance.

My psych has increased my citalopram to 30 mg which I have started today however I have taken 25 mg for the week before that. I would really like to hear from people who 20 mg didnt seem to help their anxiety but an increase to 30 mg and above did. I probably have more motivation on and off yet my anxiety is still through the roof! I just want this to work...I cant tolerate anything else :-(

Im scared im not going to get better x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had been on 20 mg for 11 weeks prior to this increase x
  • Posted

Hi Alison,

It is quite natural to be scared because, if we had the answers we wouldn't be here! This is the best place to be though, so you're doing something right and it is the first step.

I am on 40mg and have been since March 2015, I started on 10mg Dec 2014 and basically increased 10mg each month until the March. I started to level out end of May beginning of June 2015 however, since then there have been a couple of health issues and a couple of bereavements which knocked me back.

Now as I near the end of Jan 2016 I feel am am beginning to level out again, this time a little quicker as I have a little more experience and can (personally) handle it better, knowing what to expect and accept etc,.

Just hold on in there, it may seem like a long, cr*ppy, lonely road, but I can assure you 1. It may be. 2. It sometimes is. 3. It isn't lonely as you are here (as we are) where there is help and advice. You may not feel like it will never end and you won't get better, but it will and so will you! Just hold on to the little posistive things that happen - the odd good hour or day and just keep remembering how good it feels.

It is easy for us to say as we have been there and want to help.

Keep reading posts, keep posting posts and keep as positive as you can. Look at your diet, amount of exercise, listen to music dance around the house with the volume up. Just keep trying to be up than down. When you can't its duvet time!

Best Wishes,

David

• Posted

Thankyou David.

Im so scared of the meds too which doesnt help. Is it normal to get increased anxiety on increasing it... Ive also noticed im more jittery, more spaced out, cant sleep even tho im tired and feel quite sick and headachy too...is this all normal??

Alison

• Posted

To cut a long reply short I could just say Welcome to the Club! However, it is not that easy and you do need to ask, to learn, to get better and help others too.

I was very reluctant to take medication. I have never been one for popping pills unless the extreme last resort, but I am not as young or fit as I was and to me it it became extreme when I broke down in the Doctors surgery. A grown man crying, in fact sobbing, as I finally realised male pride can be a killer along with alcohol and smoking to get from one working day to the next.

Although I agreed to start taking this "sticking plaster for the brain" as my Doctor calls it (and she is brilliant) I put it off for a few days as I didn't know how I was going to react, how Cita would effect me and what I may do (all kinds of stuff went through my head).

One thing I didn't realise is that re anxiety Cita causes it to be able to treat it, as many kind folk reassured me here. What I did realise is that the anxiety and panic attacks manifested themselves quite soon and along came other side effects, like feeling spaced, fuzzy, buzzing in the ears, nausea etc. The nausea I fought by trying to be as positive as poss and eating what I felt like may stay down, little and often, that worked for me. Most of the other side effects (if you get them and you won't necessarily and they may not be as intense as other peoples - we're all different) I just had to try ride em out.

I used to take my meds in the morning, but found I was getting vivid multiple dreams, sometimes after getting up in the night I would return to the same dream or start another. This gradually wore me down, until I put the problem to the forum here and someone suggested taking Cita just before bed. I did and continue to do so, it seems to work better when I am not thinking too much, asleep and the dreams slackened off. I must admit since my brother passed in December I have been dreaming again, thankfully not as much.

However, it does help, as some have spoken about recently to watch our diets, makes sure we exercise as much as we can when we feel we can. Also Vit D3 and B6 are good supplements to help along, with Cita, the happy natural chemicals that help the brain. Don't watch cr*p on TV or listen to it on the radio (especially news!). Feel good TV (if you must watch something) your favourite DVD or better still just listen to some up beat music and crank it up. Basically anything and everything you can do to help, it is not easy though, but little by little the fog clears, anxiety wains and you'll come through. Always remembering there may be a relapse, but by that time when you've levelled out you'll understand more and cope.

Let's face it, you are helping me as much as I am helping you right now by sharing makes us feel good and actually helping make us feel better.

Look at anything, but yourself to see where the real problem lies, because it is not within you. I did and I removed myself from that which made me ill.

This lifestyle is a modern servitude that is so outdated and unnatural, it does not have to be this way at all and you will realise here, there are many testimonies to back this up.

Finally, ask yourself one question what is normal? Then forget it, because who can say what is normal, do not waste time trying to find the answer it does not exist.

I hope that, apart from us, you have someone close that may understand. If they don't then ask that person to take an interest in this forum and learn along with you, to be able to give you the support you need. My Fiance did and it has helped me a lot.

Take it easy and try not to over think!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Alison,

I was on 20 mg of Celexa for about 6 weeks. Felt like I was getting a little better then bam a meltdown right in the Dr. Office. Crying and bawling he asked me if I would consider going to 30 mg as he knew I was very scared. But I stayed positive and started taking them. I was hoping for no side effects.

The first week of the increased dosage was like I was starting all over again. My anxiety was at an all time high, again and I was also shaky. I also felt that spaced out feeling, at times it seemed like I was high and was afraid to drive. I went to see my counsellor and she said this too will pass and to try and stay positive.

i am now 3 weeks in and I feel like I am finally levelling out. 

Stick with it if you can. There were many days when I felt like throwing in the towel on theses drugs but this forum saved me.

• Posted

Hi Alison, 

me again. Forgot to mention I also take lorazepam for the anxiety. I have been for years.  Have you considered asking for Ativan to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.