increasing citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I increased to 15mg citalopram (after being on escitalopram last dose 5mg) 6 days ago. I feel really awful, stressed/anxious/nauseous. Need a bit of help coping,

please will someone reply..

take care

Sxx

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Keep going......you have side effects and they usually wear off after about 2 weeks. I started on 20 mg 11 days days ago.....four days ago I had to increase to 30 and this week to 40, so my side effects will last a while longer.......doh! I get headache, dry eyes and a spaced out feeling. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi!  I started 20 mg of Citalopram 39 days ago.  Went up to 40 mg 11 days ago.  I'm wondering how you are feeling since going up to 40mg.  I've had a couple really good days and then a couple really bad days.  Nothing consistent.  Are your side effects increasing with the higher dose or dimishing since you've been on the med (although lower dose) for longer than the current dose?

• Posted

Hello

please take heart that the first ten to fourteen days are the worst. 

I started on 20 mg citalopram and felt shocking like you do. I had almost all the side effects but after six weeks I felt amazing.  

Ive just increased to 30 mg and feel just like I did when I first started the meds.  I'm also on day 5 so know this is the worst time until maybe another week. However the magic thing is that you can feel horrendous one day and within a day or two you wonder where that feeling went.  You pick up and get better and better. Please believe me I've had all your symptoms and what you feel is 100% normal and is actually a sign the meds are working (strange isn't it?). Just at a time when you feel you couldn't feel any worse the meds make you feel like poo!

please stick it out. The long term benefits will be worth every minute of this.  You are on the way to recovery.

take care bless you x

• Posted

I'm taking hope from you Lynne! I mucked about with another well known med for 14 weeks, then had to do a straight swap 11 days ago. It's a rough ride certainly at first......I just want my motivation back. I've read if if it causes more anxiety at first, it's a sure sign it's working!!!!

• Posted

I am also taking hope from you Lynne..

I've been on several ad's over the years but nothing seemed to work. I'm now back on citalopram the first one I took 12 years ago. I've given up hoping but will give it a good try. Upped to 20mg a week ago and still have dreadful "nerves" most of the day. I also take a very small dose of clonazepam to help me cope.

I'm glad things are working out for you,

take care

Sxx 

• Posted

thank you both..Iris and Lynne,

I hope you are right. Things went pear shaped (again)  about 4 years ago and through medical mistakes I didn't get my citalopram and they put me on another anti depressive. then another....then another.  I seem to be over sensitive to meds. and have more side effects than benefits. Often wonder if it is side effects and not something else.

Feel worse in the morning and during the day then it usually eases off a bit in time to go to bed. Still have a foggy brain and numb face/jaw and neck tho'.

I have to increase to 20mg and think I will start tomorrow (1week at 15mg) then the side effects may come at the same time.

can we keep in touch and compare notes..

take care

Sxx

• Posted

Yes of course we can keep in touch! I had a better day yesterday, until I fell asleep after my meal at 6.....I woke up feeling like a zombie
    • Posted

I had a bad weekend, I often do...

I still feel like a zombie...I work in the afternoons at a mh. daycare!!! place, as receptionist and do office work.. I can't concentrate at all.. I hope it gets a bit better this evening.

Haven't got anything "happy" to say,

take care

Sxx

• Posted

Hi Iris,

How are you?

still coping I hope?

I don't feel any better on the 20mg citalopram, side effects are still making life miserable. Maybe it is not side effects just the way I am...

I'm at "work", not much to do, dreading the weekend as per usual...

take care

Sxx

• Posted

Hi to you too X. My mornings are still worse! Feeling tired and brain dead! I was supposed to start 40 yesterday, but I have a one hour drive on Sunday to a christening and I want to be able to concentrate! So I will take my 30 in the morning and 10 when I come home. So tired, but then I didn't get up till nearly 11! Prob too much sleep is doing it!

• Posted

Drive carefully tomorrow, hope you enjoy your day.

I'm just getting through another weekend. sad

take care

Sxx

• Posted

You will be much better by next weekend....you see!
    • Posted

I woke up with a stinking head this morning.....prob the result of being up too late watching Olympics, and a few more wines.......quiet:early night tonight
    • Posted

How is everyone,

Not getting any better but hanging in there. Wish I could find some enthousiasm and look forward to things.

I have made a pact with my mh. friend (who has also started on citalopram) that we will give it 3 months......

hope you are coping,

take care Sxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.