Increasing citalopram after a year.

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I've been on 10mg citalopram over a year now and everything was going great until these last 3 weeks my anxiety has come back with a vengeance i visited my PDoc and he tried me on an additional anti depressant call amitriptyline which didn't work out well i suggested increasing the dose and he laughed at me and gave me no answer as to why i called him and told him the amitriptyline citalopram combination didnt work for me so he said double up on your citalopram see you in a month......so im switching doctors but i guess my question is has anybody felt the effectiveness wear off and has increasing the dose helped or if a ssri stops working does it just stop working? Also i have five 1mg klonopins the hospital gave me when i went to the ER for my anxiety which I've taken .25 2x a day for the past few days to deal with the extra anxiety caused by the citalopram until i can see my new doctor on the 10th, is this a bad idea or will i be alright?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for all the support guys I've been on 10mg for a year and it worked great until recently so i know what to expect for the most part i still havnt gone up to 20 yet I'm trying to stabilize on 15mg plus i dont want to run out of citalopram before i see the new doctor today got off to a rough start so i took the .25 klonopin this morning i managed to not take .25 last night like i thought i would. So if i can keep it between .25-.50 a day max for the next few weeks i before i see the doc I'll be ok. When i initially adjusted to the citalopram i took 1mg of ativan in the morning and at night for 2 months until i weened myself when i felt better. Just hopeful this increase will work because i dont want to change meds rolleyes
    • Posted

I'm sure it's a blip, and am sure it'll all settle down again soon.  I'm sure the increase will help a great deal.

Best of luck xxx

• Posted

Thanks a lot kate i really appreciate the support and positive reinforcement it really helps me through my day.
  • Posted

Hey everybody day 5 on 20mg and woke up feeling pretty rough today. sad i hope the increase kicks in soon.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up