Infections and TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a TKR on November 1 and a surgery on my wrist on December 9. The surgery on my wrist has became infected. I remember something about infections and TKR but can't remember all of it. It's Saturday and I'm wondering if I can wait until Monday to see a doctor or if I need to go to urgent care tomorrow? It's draining and I've put on antibiotic ointment and a bandage is this enough?

Thanks Mary

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why two surgeries so close together!
    • Posted

I had to get as many done before the end of the year as I had reached my deductible and it didn't cost me anything. The doctor who did my TKR also did my wrist surgeries. So I had back surgery August 23, TKR surgery November 1, both wrists and thumb reconstruction surgery on December 9, and had to have the thumb redone on December 27 as it came undone. Now I'm done until later this spring or fall as I need TKR on other knee. Then hopefully no more for a very long time. It has been nice having the same surgeon for all of this and not having different doctors for each.

• Posted

You need antibiotics immediately.  Did you know that you have to take a massive dose of Keflex one hour before any dental work for at least a year?  You don't fool around with replacement surgery...ANY replacement surgery...and possible infections.  Period.

• Posted

I have a teeth cleaning coming up at the end of the month. I was told to wait 3 month before any procedures. My TKR was on Oct. 19th.....thinking of waiting a couple more months. I will be taking Amoxicillin 2 Grams one hour before (or Augmentin). Should I anticipate an upset stomach?
    • Posted

My doc prescribes Keflex.  Massive dose 1 hour before any dental work...for at least a year!!!
    • Posted

I believe you're right about the two years...wasn't sure.  Always be on the safe side and follow doc's instructions.  You do NOT want to deal with infections...

• Posted

Mary,

Are you running a fever? I had my TKR on December 5. On January 3, I visited my primary care physician who promptly had a FIT! He told me in no uncertain terms that fever and chills after surgery are serious and should be brought to your doctor's attention. He ended up sending me to the hospital for a specialized ultrasound of my leg to rule out a blood clot. I had no idea of the seriousness infection could pose. I'm sure the idea of an emergency room visit is not appealing, but maybe better safe than sorry. Good luck, hope all is well very soon!

Tammy

• Posted

Yeah, you can't screw with that. I had a blood blister on my knee incision after three weeks. The surgeon's assistant said it definietly was not infected but put me on an antitbiotic just to be safe. I I go to the dentist now I have to take an antibiotic. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.