Info on Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have recently been given Citalopram for bad anxiety attacks, I am not good with any drugs but am wondering what sort of side effects people have experienced as last time I took an anti depressant it made the anxiety and nervousness worse and stopped taking them.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi i was on these for a while.  The side effects I got were feeling a bit more edgy but I got muscle tremors especially in my jaw.  these side effects subsided after a few weeks and then i did find them helpful.  Any drug will give you some sort of side effects.  They key is to try and put up with them so they can start to work, but obviously it depends how badly the side effects are troubling you.  I found they did help once these wore off.  Hope this helps and good luck x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear Jane...

For any anxiolytic to work.... You need to take it for some time.... I found that escitalopram works after 1 week of using it..... I would say that sometimes it made me feel irritable.... But you have to take it according to your prescription for it to start working....

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I took them before falling pregnant and the first one made me feel a bit spaced out but after that they took my anxiety away completely best things! And once I've had baby if I'm not better with my anxiety I will be going back on them
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have been on Citalopram for almost 4 weeks now and I am still experiencing side effects including; nausea, worsened anxiety, nervousness, sweating, headache and indigestion. I was hoping most of the side effects would be gone by now but no luck yet. I'm starting to think maybe they won't work for me😕. Anyway, it seems that almost everyone has side effects and theses pills seem to make you worse before they make you better so once you start just try to stick it out! I hope they work for you and you find some relief!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I have been taking escitalopram (a slightly more concentrated form of citalopram but pretty much the same) for over 5 years for anxiety. At first the biggest side effects were a dry mouth, some nausea and headaches and total loss of libido (to be blunt, I Wanted sex just couldn't physically climax..sorry if too much info!) The effects lasted around 3 weeks but the benefits from the meds have far outweighed those and I always thought I may be on them always. However, new research has come out to say that very long term use can cause thinning of the bones, particularly after menopause, which at 53, I am struggling through too, so I am embarking on a CBT course and weight loss programme to see if I can self manage. Not looking forward to coming off them though. 

Best tip to give you is always take them at the same time everyday, (I take mine mid-day) so you have a nice consistent effect in your blood stream and don't stop taking them suddenly. Give them a chance hunny, they could make a real difference. Best of luck.. x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up