Information for post op (TKR) required please..

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I just wanted to ask how long did it take before you could get out of the bed and sit up to stand up without anyone helping you with the operated leg? I believe the operated leg is extremely painful and stiff and sometimes the nurse or someone has to help lift/push it? What is the best way to try and move your operated leg on your own when trying to get on and off the bed? Also did anyone feel sleepy after pain meds?

Thank you in advance for your replies..

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I only had PKR and was got up the next day with crutches but could weight bear without them.  Best way to move your operated leg onto the bed is with a belt around the foot to lift it.  Some pain meds can make you sleepy
  • Posted

Lifting the operated leg on its own can take a couple of weeks!! I used my good leg to hook under the operated one and lifted it that way, or you can as suggested use a belt to put under your leg and lift it. Remember the muscles tendons ect have all taken a real hammering literally!!! And need time to recover
  • Posted

Use a dressing gown cord but not under knee put under lower calf or ankle to lift leg but don't get dependent always try to lift even a tiny bit. Very useful for getting in and out of car too. How long it takes to do independently will depend on you doing Physio and regaining strength and confidence. I think it was about four weeks for me but sometimes I used the aid to avoid pain rather than because I couldn't actually lift leg. Water therapy really helps
  • Posted

We had to be safe going up stairs, having a shower, and getting into and out of bed alone before we could go home..

once home I was alone so had to do it by myself, I did use a belt, in the early days to lift my leg....

and yes the drugs made me very sleepy...you need rest to heal so just go with the flow. Rest when you need to and walk around often..

• Posted

I was walking with a zimmer and then crutches 2 days after op.

To get back on the bed.

Have something like the belt of your dressing gown.

Put that under the foot of your operated leg and use it as a lever.

This is a trick one of the nurses told me when I was having trouble getting back onto the bed.

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in otuhc

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you for all your replies, I really appreciate it. I am posting this on behalf of my mum and all your help means a lot!

Wish you all the best with your continued recovery process as I know this is a very very long road to recovery.

Thank you guys.

• Posted

Hi Patel

Get your mum an exercise sling that goes under the foot and comes up either side of the knee, she can also use this to help with her exercises.

invest in gel packs that you put in the freezer as this will also help her, if you can get two then you can alternative, get the ones that have their own little cover, as you must not use straight from freezer to bare skin.

try and get your mum into a routine, start with taking pain meds and then when they have kicked in, then do the exercises, after exercises elevate the leg and apply the ice pack and then she will need to rest.

it will be painful in the very beginning but with time it does get better, everybody heals at different times, but around the six week mark is where you start to turn the corner.

we wish you mum the best and if you ever need advice or just to talk we are here. 

You may find that your mum is a bit tearful this is normal so is irregular sleeping, just to let you know in advance.

Gillian

• Posted

My son helped me and needed patience! I was hard work so if she gets irritable - bite your tongue ! Pain, tiredness and incapacity plus a bit of depression are common - by my own mu was great - she had none of these - so hopefully your mum will recover. Make sure she stays mobile and does not stiffen up, make sure she takes all medications as instructed. It can be a bit of a roller coaster but we all get there in the end. I am 9 months on - still get some bad days and waiting for knee number two next Spring. This forum is great.
  • Posted

In hospital, you get out of bed the day after the operation (with a walking frame).  Once you've done that you are left to your own devices.  Crutches the next day.  It does hurt getting your leg on and off the bed, but you have to grit your teeth.  Looping a towel around the sole of your foot helps though.  At home, I had to get in and out of bed, etc on my own as I live alone.  My 87-year old Dad stayed with me the first night, but I wouldn't have wanted him dealing with personal things.

The strong meds do make you sleepy (I was on Tramadol), but so do the effects of the anaesthetic.

• Posted

Thank you very much for all your support. I really appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.