Initial Side Effects Duration

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just wondering how long people's initial side effects lasted when starting Fluoxetine. I took 10 mg for a week and upped it to 20 after a week and have been on 20 for a week. I'm still feeling flat emotionally and get dizziness and have little appetite. My doctor said a normal duration for these initial side effects is 4 to 5 days so I was wondering if people had shorter or longer initial side effects. Any input would be appreciated as I'm not sure whether or not to stick with Fluoxetine much longer.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi rob.

I'm on fluoxetine 20mg too I'm coming into my second wee, my anxiety and depression is through the roof. I'm determined to carry on with them, I too have little appetite, foggy head. Stick with them.

• Posted

My side effects lasted for 3 weeks, first 10 days were worse then they gradually reduced each day. I was fully side effect free by 12 weeks

Stick with ithe, it gets better

• Posted

Did you find that your anxiety got worse? Mines through the roof and I'm having obsessive thoughts more than normal.

• Posted

My anxiety has gotten worse because I'm not feeling that good at all and I've been waking up in the middle of the night with vivid dreams and can't fall back asleep so I'm tired all day which isn't helping at all.

• Posted

Vivid dreams increase in anxiety and waking in the night are all side effects. It helps if you take your tablet in the morning, I felt bit tired at 11 am and had excessive yawning but I have no side effects now after 5 months

Please don't despair it will get better

• Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone and my doctor thinks it would be best to switch to Lexapro so I'm starting that at 2.5 mg tomorrow and probably work up really slowly. Since it's in the same class he thinks starting this right up will just keep going what I already took so far on Fluoxetine and hopefully I'll tolerate it better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.