Insomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have been dealing with insomnia since 2010. It has been "on and off" for me and my doctor had prescribed me Xanax and Seroquel ever since. Later, 2013 my doctor had prescribed me Citalopram and I felt like I could actually sleep, and I thought that this medicine was ideal for me. And stop taking since 2016. Now, since last month, I'm start having sleep problem again keep taking Tylenol P.m it doesn't help. When back go see my family Dr she gave meme Zolpidem. It help a little bit but not for everyday. She checks everything in me but don't see anything long with me. me. So told about what I used taken before. Then told her about citalopram that used take to help me to sleep. So she writes me that on last Friday 20mg about 6:30 pm I took it and when to bed. It totally different I stayed awake all night and until today. I thought it going to work the same thing when I took before. This my 3 days taking citalopram now I don't know what happens to me. I have more anxiety tired upset stomach my body jumping. Maybe somebody can give me about taking this medicine. Maybe someone can give me help me the answer if whoever has the same thing what I have right now. 4 days already didn't get any sleep that all. I know my English is not that clear sorry whoever reads my hands writing. Thanks so much!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I'm the same as you, day 4 on citalopram and have the same symptoms as you. Don't think I'm going to continue on it. Just making me miserable. O

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Both. My feeling is that you aren't giving the drug enough time to work. It takes weeks to begin to get benefits, not a few days. Most people feel even worse in first 2 weeks ...but then benefits will come later. If you stop taking it you will will never know if it works or not. You may also get a rebound effect if you suddenly stop and this might be unpleasant also. Keep believing. Keep taking as your Dr prescribed. Think about how unwell you are on no meds and how it can destroy your happiness. Pete

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragement. My husband told me the same thing that I should gives unless one or two weeks until you know. When I told it before I didn't have system like this now or it might be I didn't take it before? Or not I don't know. 4 days straight I didn't get any sleep that all. Laying on the floor right now. Thank you so much!!

• Posted

Can you sleep? My just stay awake all night. Can't even eat or drink. Maybe we should give more time and will see what happens okay. Take care. God will heals us soon I believe.

• Posted

Hi

Yes I can get to sleep ok, but wake about 3 in the morning. I'm drinking plenty just can't eat very well.

• Posted

April. Your mind is telling you that you can't take this, but you can, you can. You need to give your body time to adjust. Try to keep some routine and normality even though you might have zero motivation and feel horrid. I was at work first day of treatment and felt awful, dizzy, sick. I did little work but walking to and from worked helped. If I had stayed in bed and let my mind race I would have been in a right state! Hug your family. Pamper yourself. Have a bath. Moisturise your skin. Even if it feels like last thing you want to do right now. Anxiety is really horrid but it's not reality. Speak to us of you need someone to listen. Pete

• Posted

Your body will tell you what it wants if you give it time. It's horrible being unable to sleep as it makes you feel terrible and your body clock gets out of step. If you can't sleep at all for 2 weeks go see your Dr to discuss a short term sedative. You will not die for not sleeping. You will not starve for not eating. Try and drink lots of clear fluids as this will help flush the medicine around your body. You will feel worse if you get dehydrated.

• Posted

Thank you so much Mrs Pete. Did you have been taking the medicine before? Last 4 days I'm laying down on the floor can't eat can't drink much. My husband doesn't want to take me to emergency room he thinks they not going to anything to me. So I think I'm not going to make it so late night I can't help myself. So i took 1 mg for axanx and it does nkow me down a little bit just get enough to get up. This my 5 days taking citalopram. I will see if I can hold on with no sleeping like this every night. Thank you one again!! May God bless you!!

• Posted

Hi Elaine, that good for you unless you get some sleep but me no sleep that all. Stay awake all night. I be happy if get 2,3 hours sleep I might jump up and down. I don't know about you I changed to take at days time not night time because it doesn't matter what time I take if I falling sleep I'm going straight to bed right away. Thank you for your reply. Take care! 🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.